The Olympic Games MEGATHREAD

I think any sport that has it's own competition that is regarded as bigger than the Olympic competition shouldn't be in the Olympics.

Tennis, Football been 2 examples. In cycling the road race and road time trial should be dropped but the velodrome events should remain in.

Same goes for Golf been an Olympic sport in 2016.

Further to this,I think that any sport that requires a panel of judges to determine the result should be dropped.In these cases there is always the chance that favoritism or prejudice can influence the result.It runs the risk of becoming like the Eurovision song contest.

Equestrianism fails on this and also on being the only olympic sport that I can think of where the equipment (horse) plays at least as big a part in success as the athlete.It's more a contest of who can afford the dearest horse.

The Olympic games have totaly lost their meaning, many events are a joke and have no place in the Olympics, as with Christmas the true meaning has disappeared.

£26million on the opening ceremony plus the cost of the closing ceremony is a scandal.

how much did the closing ceremony cost, just thought I would ask you, because you seem to know everything! oops sorry! of course you hav'nt had chance to read up on that yet! :huh:

Further to this,I think that any sport that requires a panel of judges to determine the result should be dropped.In these cases there is always the chance that favoritism or prejudice can influence the result.It runs the risk of becoming like the Eurovision song contest.

Equestrianism fails on this and also on being the only olympic sport that I can think of where the equipment (horse) plays at least as big a part in success as the athlete.It's more a contest of who can afford the dearest horse.

I'm afraid you're incorrect on that part,the GB team horses were worth less than some of the opposition horses - until they won gold.

The Germans were riding a Dutch Olympic gold medal winning horse,sold after its last success for more than some of the GB horses.

The other "horsey" event,Modern Pentathlon doesn't even have to provide a horse,they pick from a pool of horses and each horse is ridden by two different competitors.

Lots if bribes were exchanged too, I heard of one American basketball player was paid to play on the Nigerian team, he was born in the US but his father was originally from Nigeria, he admitted he'd never even been there, but would like to one day :rolleyes:

Lots of money was likely to be paid too - GB were one of the teams who recieved no financial reward directly from their country or governing body for winning medals.Unlike the Ossies and the Italians for starters,£65k and £115k per gold winner(IIRC).

Lots of money was likely to be paid too - GB were one of the teams who recieved no financial reward directly from their country or governing body for winning medals.Unlike the Ossies and the Italians for starters,£65k and £115k per gold winner(IIRC).

Yes but the Brits played for their own country, some got paid for playing for other countries they werent citizens of.

I'm afraid you're incorrect on that part,the GB team horses were worth less than some of the opposition horses - until they won gold.

The Germans were riding a Dutch Olympic gold medal winning horse,sold after its last success for more than some of the GB horses.

The other "horsey" event,Modern Pentathlon doesn't even have to provide a horse,they pick from a pool of horses and each horse is ridden by two different competitors.

And if equestrianism is to be included then that is perhaps the way to organise all the events.In that way show jumping etc could be included but dressage still fails on my other criteria.

REMEMBER: equasy kills:

It is an addiction that produces the release of adrenaline and endorphins and which is used by many millions of people in the UK including children and young people. The harmful consequences are well established – about 10 people a year die of it and many more suffer permanent neurological damage as had my patient. It has been estimated that there is a serious adverse event every 350 exposures and these are unpredictable, though more likely in experienced users who take more risks with equasy. It is also associated with over 100 road traffic accidents per year – often with deaths. Equasy leads to gatherings of users that often are associated with these groups engaging in violent conduct.

Just say no.

:roll: Certain peoples anti British animus is showing on this thread now...clutching at straws talking about team GB "having the deerest horses" (which is demonstrably wrong) and pointing out Britains place in the per capita medals table. :loopy:

The Olympic games have totaly lost their meaning, many events are a joke and have no place in the Olympics, as with Christmas the true meaning has disappeared.

£26million on the opening ceremony plus the cost of the closing ceremony is a scandal.

Examples please.

Also can you briefly explain what you consider the 'true meaning' to be and how the modern Olympics deviate from it? Thanks.

:roll: Certain peoples anti British animus is showing on this thread now...clutching at straws talking about team GB "having the deerest horses" (which is demonstrably wrong) and pointing out Britains place in the per capita medals table. :loopy:

My point was that the horse plays at least as much of a part in the success or failure in the event as the athlete does.The only event in which this is the case.

Perhaps I should have left off what was intended as a lighthearted description of the event.

As for being"anti British" I have watched,enjoyed and suported(as much as one can from ones armchair!)all the athletes (except the horsey ones)that have represented Britain and shown the commitment skill and hard work that has lead them to their outstanding achievments.

This has been the most spectacular (TV) event that I can remember in all my 54 years.

Yes but the Brits played for their own country, some got paid for playing for other countries they werent citizens of.
very well said but we musn't foreget Zola Bud getting a fast track UK citizenship.

Other than a world war, there is no more nationalistic event than the Olympic games, or the World football cup. The only true winners are the gold medalists, silver and bronze are also rans. If you don't think USA isn't happy to beat China or Britain isn't happy to be flying Union Jacks everywhere, you've been watching something else entirely. On the other hand USA doesn't care if GB claims they won because of population depth, they're happy for them doing so well, If Tonga had won two gold medals, they could have made the same claim.:)

I know but as I said there is no official winner.

Also you don't seem to understand the Olympic spirit about taking part.