The Olympic Games MEGATHREAD

Was I dreaming or did I hear on the news this morning that the US has now passed China in the number of golds ?

Yes but it's only propoganda :hihi:is there a gold medal for the most gold medals?

The naively positive side of me hopes that the facile, non-entity glamour models and reality TV participents will lose much of their appeal after the acheivments of team GB.

I was thinking the same loss of appeal would fall to our overpaid, over-hyped, (largely) under-skilled footballers ... but that won't happen. They will be forgiven their lack of commitment, unsavoury behaviour on and off the pitch and whining approach to being the best and we will continue to cast new faces as true superstars only a week after they arrive on the scene.

... and the sheer determination and hard, unrecognised day after day, week after week work that went into getting anywhere near a podium will be off the front pages once more.

I must say what a fab olympics we brits are having.

But I must mention the 800m final, not all this hype Bolt stuff which bores me, but a 800m final that was, without doubt, the best track race so far.

Lets break it down, a world record, he dominated the race, all the competitors either had personal bests or seasons best.

Our british runner was last, be he recorded the 4th fastest time by a brit, which is some achievement in itself.

The 100m womens relay final I can see US breaking the world record, their B team was close to the olympic record.

I must say what a fab olympics we brits are having.

But I must mention the 800m final, not all this hype Bolt stuff which bores me, but a 800m final that was, without doubt, the best track race so far.

Lets break it down, a world record, he dominated the race, all the competitors either had personal bests or seasons best.

Our british runner was last, be he recorded the 4th fastest time by a brit, which is some achievement in itself.

The 100m womens relay final I can see US breaking the world record, their B team was close to the olympic record.

Fab olympics all around, the stadiums look fantastic, camera angles are great, especially the dive cam, it's like being on the diving board yourself .

I am loving the olympics

I think we are doing an amazing job. Thought the opening ceremony was stunning apart from Macca at the end spoiling it - he was shall we say rubbish ?

I have enjoyed watching it with my children who have loved it too.

Well done GB and go TeamGB :)

Yes but it's only propoganda :hihi:is there a gold medal for the most gold medals?
But Harley wasn't the first person who brought up the subject of which of the two countries had won the most medals. It was a Brit who crowed about China wiping the floor with the Yanks. He's strangely silent now. He should have waited till the games were over.:hihi:

Well done to the USA today for being top of the medal winners but two days to go yet and we could still beat them.

Well done to the USA today for being top of the medal winners but two days to go yet and we could still beat them.

Are you quite sure about that? Would it not be rather optimistic to think that we could win more gold medals than are actually available in the last 2 days of competition?

Are you quite sure about that? Would it not be rather optimistic to think that we could win more gold medals than are actually available in the last 2 days of competition?

I suppose i sometimes get a bit deluded.:roll:

I suppose i sometimes get a bit deluded.:roll:
That's OK, Janie, GB has nothing to be ashamed of. Enjoy what you did win, which was considerable. I was in Britain for the 48 Olympics, and I don't believe we won a single medal.:) Edited by buck