The "White House" Chippy in Pitsmmor.

Originally posted by whodatden

haunted well we did'nt see or feel anything funny while we worked on it,had some nice orbs on the photos i took

Orbs,, you mean dust..:suspect:

Bernard used to see the ghost on regular occasions I was told.

A bit of history 108 Andover st in 1891,hope i'm right on address

John Reynolds age 40 cab proprietor born Stone Leigh, War.

Here is a delicate question regarding Kath and Bernard.

Is the last name Greaves and before running the White House, did they run a chip shop at the top of Spital Street (until the mid 60s) ? Or have I mixed them up with someone else. Sorry if I'm right off the track.

Your right on track mate there, but I'm not sure about the chippy on Spital Hill.

As mentioned they had the one at the top of Andover Street from new about 1967 so it is possible they moved from there to the one above.

Thanks for info. The reason I asked is I believe I knew Bernard from Pye Bank but he was a few years in front of me. It's possible that Bernard had a younger brother, Raymond, who was in my class. Small world if I'm correct.

Once again, thanks for all our help.

yes again falls

he has got a brother called raymond !

good day to you !

clare x:clap:

I remember this chippy, and I agree it was one of the best - if not the best - in the City. I always used, when I was a postie, to make the delivery pad out so I could call in there for some food.

Shame it's no longer in use, they don't make chippies like these anymore.

aaaaa..the white house chippy.i used to live on the flats opposite it on nottingham street and used to go every friday night after boys brigade..i saw bernard about a year or so ago in the city center.my auntie used to work for them when they had the chippy at the top of andover street..her name was kath compson.

Used to frequent the white house chippy a lot, Whilst on the subject of shops anybody remember Cairas (sp)?

Run by Tony and his Mum best ice cream around. One of those shops that never closed. Remember that if you went in for something and he hadn't got it he would try his damndedst to sell you something else. Top bloke.

I used to go in Cairas all the time. An Bernard & Kaths chippy at the top of Andover St. I was so glad when they opened up there. it saved a big climb up from the Wite House. Saturday nights watching one of the groups on at the Loco Club then a bag of chips on the way home.

Here is a delicate question regarding Kath and Bernard.

Is the last name Greaves and before running the White House, did they run a chip shop at the top of Spital Street (until the mid 60s) ? Or have I mixed them up with someone else. Sorry if I'm right off the track.

You are on the right track. You have not mixed them up with anyone else. Your information is correct.

I used to go in Cairas all the time. An Bernard & Kaths chippy at the top of Andover St. I was so glad when they opened up there. it saved a big climb up from the Wite House. Saturday nights watching one of the groups on at the Loco Club then a bag of chips on the way home.

Stop it mate you're bringing a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat

lol