Cash in hand 'is morally wrong'

If you read a bit further into it the allegation was that cash in hand is synonymous with tax evasion (something I disagree with).

And that tax evasion is immoral (something I agree with).

Either way, and more to the point, tax evasion is unlawful.

No, it's saying that:

a. cash is OK; but

b. a reduction for cash so as to defraud HMRC is not.

But its not defrauding the HMRC.

If a tradesman offers a cash price of £300 ,thats his Quote for the job. The customer isnt defrauding anyone , only paying the price they were Quoted by the tradesman. All the customer has done is let it be known to the tradesman that they will be paying cash for the job the tradesman is Quoting for.

paying cash is a Guaranteed way of getting a cheaper Quote, which is good for the customer. Surely you arnt against the customer getting the best price they can ?

But its not defrauding the HMRC.

If a tradesman offers a cash price of £300 ,thats his Quote for the job. The customer isnt defrauding anyone , only paying the price they were Quoted by the tradesman. All the customer has done is let it be known to the tradesman that they will be paying cash for the job the tradesman is Quoting for.

paying cash is a Guaranteed way of getting a cheaper Quote, which is good for the customer. Surely you arnt against the customer getting the best price they can ?

They'll end up getting rid of cash and everyone will have to pay digitally as we can't be trusted thus controlling our whereabouts and access to physical credit. ;)

They'll end up getting rid of cash and everyone will have to pay digitally as we can't be trusted thus controlling our whereabouts and access to physical credit. ;)

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Your probably right.

i pay for my goods in cash...so i expect payment in cash...much easier...not many traders at car boots except credit cards...:hihi::hihi:

If the tradesman is just offering a price then that's the tradesman business.

And it's the tradesman who if they aren't charging and paying VAT when they should and is avoiding putting it through their books, who is guilty of tax evasion.

It was a tradesman that I replied to (Shogun) who had basically said that he puts enough through the books to avoid being caught, but doesn't declare the rest.

I dont blame him. Put enough jobs through the books to stop the old HMRC getting suspicious ,and do the rest as "Cash" jobs that never make your end of year self assessment .

I challenge you to find me a tradesman who declares Every job they do . You wont find one .

Barcodes tattooed on your arms. Believe me, it's the future!

Barcodes tattooed on your arms. Believe me, it's the future!

I bet The HMRC would love that ............ ;)

The HMRC should keep their noses OUT of people's personal business!

That's a bit of outlandish statement. What is a person's "Personal business" and why should they keep their noses out?

The HMRC should keep their noses OUT of people's personal business!

Probably true, but their revenue and tax affairs are not personal affairs are they.

In fact they're exactly the business that HMRC has every right and a duty to investigate.

I dont blame him. Put enough jobs through the books to stop the old HMRC getting suspicious ,and do the rest as "Cash" jobs that never make your end of year self assessment .

I challenge you to find me a tradesman who declares Every job they do . You wont find one .

They should all be fined then.

What a ridiculous challenge though, how could I a) find, and b) prove to you that I'd found such a person?