Bands at the Gaumont, Barkers Pool

Saw the topic about bands at the City Hall. Does anyone remember going to the Gaumont cinema and seeing any acts? Maybe senility is setting in and I'm imagining it but I recall that an auntie of mine (Barbara) worked there and got me tickets to see the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix. Am I dreaming?

No not dreaming I saw a couple of band ther in the early 70s

Originally posted by ExKingTed2

Saw the topic about bands at the City Hall. Does anyone remember going to the Gaumont cinema and seeing any acts? Maybe senility is setting in and I'm imagining it but I recall that an auntie of mine (Barbara) worked there and got me tickets to see the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix. Am I dreaming?

I saw Lulu (she was 15 years old & 'SHOUT' was at No. 1), the Applejacks, the Honeycombs, the Moody Blues, Freddie & the Dreamers, Hermans Hermits & the Dave Clark Five, all at the Gaumont in the 1960s.

Myself and 2 mates spent the whole afternoon in Glossop Road Baths with Lulu and her 2 minders and there was no one else present, open to the public but none of them chose to come in on that particular day. :)

Originally posted by ExKingTed2

I saw Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent there in the sixties, they were both on the same bill and all it cost was five shillings ( 25 p in micky mouse money ) and they were great. The only other singer on the same bill was an English lad called Vince Eager who was on all the music shows on T.V. at the time ,I believe that he is still performing.

I'm sure I saw Dave Berry and the Cruisers at the Gaumont on Saturday mornings. Saw him recently in North Wales. A great performance. I, too saw Lulu about 1964.

I saw Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent there in the sixties, they were both on the same bill and all it cost was five shillings ( 25 p in micky mouse money ) and they were great. The only other singer on the same bill was an English lad called Vince Eager who was on all the music shows on T.V. at the time ,I believe that he is still performing.

I saw that show also..Another one I saw there was a Package show put on by Don Ardon (Sharon Osbourns dad) It was the "Everly Brothers Show" with Bo Diddly, Little Richard, Micky Most, and bottom of the bill "The Rolling Stones". Compere was Dave Allen...I still have the program somewhere...How much would it cost to see a show like that today?..Another show I saw there was Emile Ford and the Checkmates..

I saw that show also..Another one I saw there was a Package show put on by Don Ardon (Sharon Osbourns dad) It was the "Everly Brothers Show" with Bo Diddly, Little Richard, Micky Most, and bottom of the bill "The Rolling Stones". Compere was Dave Allen...I still have the program somewhere...How much would it cost to see a show like that today?..Another show I saw there was Emile Ford and the Checkmates..

I saw Emile Ford about 5 years ago at the Pitsmoor club.

He was minus his checkmates.

It was packed to the rafters but he put on a good show although he was using a tape mavhine for his bacing miusic.

The following list may help you remember...

Bobby Daren, Count Basie, Duane Eddy, Charlie Drake, Bruce Forsyth, Vince Eager,

Lonnie Donnegan, Lulu, Hermans Hermits, Dusty Springfield, The Lana Sisters,

The Springfields, Victor Borge, Nashville Teens, Cliff Richard & the Shadows, Shirley Bassey,

The Beetles, The Rolling Stones,The Dave Clark Five, Marty Wilde, Craig Douglas, Cillia Black,

Billy Fury, Marianne Faithful, Adam Faith, Billy J Cramer & the Dakotas,

Freddie & the Dreamers, Aker Bilk, Emil Ford & the Checkmates,Frank Ifield, John Leyton,

The Moody Blues, Ted Heath Band, Sandie Shaw, Peter & Gordon, Nina & Fredrick,

Gerry & the Pacemakers & Lord Rockingham's Eleven.

These are just those I remember 'off the top', but time and distance.........

Can't remember where but there were a fair few band on at the city Hall too.

But here goes, Applejacks, Merseybeats, Pretty Things, Walker Brothers(several times - big fan) Roy Orbison, Lulu, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Nice, Jimmy Hendrix, The Move, and various support bands whi I can't remember - but you paid 15 shilling for a ticket and saw fantastic bands on the same bill!.

Brilliant.

Iwent tosee Count Basie at the Gaumont and it was great.

Cannot remember the date, Iguess there's beena few wars since then but the memory lingers on.

Happy Days!

Also saw The Everly Brothers Show, who were the top of the bill. When they came on the whole Gaumont cinema crowd errupted with "We want the Stones", the Everly Brothers tried to play but where drowned out, in the end they had to bring the Stones on stage to back them with their numbers.

Great show, long live The Stones.