Who were the crane builders in sheffield?

what was/is the name of the firm, builder of cranes was working during the war and on

what was/is the name of the firm, builder of cranes was working during the war and on

What type of crane, Wellerman's could be a contender for the construction type.

What type of crane, Wellerman's could be a contender for the construction type.

yes that would be the type my dad worked on the electric's for around 30 plus yrs, where was Wellermans??

yes that would be the type my dad worked on the electric's for around 30 plus yrs, where was Wellermans??

Down near the Ship Inn, Shalesmoor-Dun Street.

Down near the Ship Inn, Shalesmoor-Dun Street.
Yes - this is the address shown in the 1954 directory. The 1925 and 1942 directories show them at 223 Attercliffe Road - see here.

used to work for a firm called wellermans contracting ,cleaning scale from under skid pad that led to the rolls, at BSC Stockbridge

Yes - this is the address shown in the 1954 directory. The 1925 and 1942 directories show them at 223 Attercliffe Road - see here.

Quite right, i have a record of a newspaper clipping of a 1939 inquest on the death of an employee that puts them at Attercliffe, i do however remember their yard at Dun Street.

Now that place looks perfect for dads workplace Fred Clarke I know he was wiring cranes pre war up till who knows when?,lived on Penistone rd back in the dark days

thinking that Wellermans may no longer operate if they closed what year??

Most of the overhead cranes that I remember from the sixties steel firms in Sheffield and Rotherham were 'Butterleys'. I think, from a company in Derby.

Most of the overhead cranes that I remember from the sixties steel firms in Sheffield and Rotherham were 'Butterleys'. I think, from a company in Derby.

my dad worked in Sheffield wireing crane's always thought they were new but maybe he was on maintenance:confused::confused: