I dare you to retire and give your job to a young person

I'll willingly retire. Are you going to give me some money to live?

so you have no pension

shut it young people at this moment in time have no chance of employment

Well as you've put it so eloquently, I'll retire.

At 36.

You're paying right ? Or are young people paying through massively increased taxation ?

What utter nonsense. If I could afford it, I'd retire tomorrow! But the plain fact, is, I can't afford to!

Besides, my job has taken me 40 years of experience to gain! How is a complete novice going to be able to do my job? It's not practical or viable!

Think of another idea, cos older people aren't going to give up jobs just cos you say so!

well somebody showed you how to do that job so what makes you special you should be doing the same and learning your trade to the next generaition

think thats got a lot of you clever people thinking about once again a sarcastic answer to this post the only answer is to lower the retirement age not increase it

It wouldn't help, because has the jobs are created more people would come from abroad to do them, increasing the population and creating bigger problem for the future.

So you are saying if someone gives up a nice office job, or a job as a postman say, those Oiks that hang out by the off licence and bookies all day will jump at the chance to take it?

cmon lets not disrespect young people like that today i think on the whole young people would like a job they would like to buy a house they would like 2 . 4 children but it aint going to happen

so you have no pension

You have no idea how old the people you are addressing in this thread are so how can you work out whether they have a pension that will pay out at 35/40/whatever age?

I've got a pension and it pays out when I'm 65, which is probably the same age as everybody else's pensions. How do people fund the extra years you want them to live without an income?

What a weird thread! As others have said, who is going to pay for these people to live then ?

I am sorry Jenbear but the area I live in has plenty of young people who really don't want to work, unless you count selling drugs as retail experience on your cv.

They swagger around day in day out with their regulation savage looking dog and not much better girlfriend (usually pregnant) drinking cans of strong cider.

Work would spoil everything for them, when would they have time to ride the off road bikes up and down the pavement all day and night, hang out of car windows with music blaring at 100 decibels to sell drugs,

I feel sorry for the decent parents round here who try to do their best by their children only to let them out of the house to join these gangs.

Under 25's couldn't do my job with the firm I work for.

The boss wouldn't be able to afford the insurance.

To a point I have a great deal of sympathy with the OP, and agree that people working on into old age will inevitably lead to less employment for our younger generation...

...but then, when people can't post a proper well written argument (yes capitalisation, spelling and grammar matter when you want to get a job), I feel I'll inevitably be in the minority.

:(

I am sorry Jenbear but the area I live in has plenty of young people who really don't want to work, unless you count selling drugs as retail experience on your cv.

They swagger around day in day out with their regulation savage looking dog and not much better girlfriend (usually pregnant) drinking cans of strong cider.

Work would spoil everything for them, when would they have time to ride the off road bikes up and down the pavement all day and night, hang out of car windows with music blaring at 100 decibels to sell drugs,

I feel sorry for the decent parents round here who try to do their best by their children only to let them out of the house to join these gangs.

is that cos they dont wanna be an outcast and part of the crowd

I agree with your basic argument that in an ideal world the majority of people should retire between 60 and 65 years of age ,having worked for 40/45 years ,attained the essential in life and earned a liveable pension.

We almost had this in post war Britain up to recent years.

Now we have well heeled people at the top of the tree who do not have to retire and earn top dollar and associated perks,and others who have had a long and hard working life,and would love to retire.However,they have seen their pension funds go bust or fail to provide the income that was expected a few years ago.

This not only affects the school ,college and university leavers,but also those in employment,who see no prospect of promotion.

The term used to be dead men's shoes and it seems for many this is now literally the case.

I was fortunate in that several of us were able to take early ,or due retirement at a similar time,a few of my colleagues were promoted and 3 trainees were taken on.

This is how it should be but I think that it's an exception nowadays due to the financial problems,the ageing population,and also some people who are greedy and loathe to give up their sinecures.