Feeder reel recommendations.

you could look at the daiwa sweepfire. I use this on my match rod and its an ace little reel and really well built.

Or maybe an ABU 706

Thanks carpetviper but I have purchased a Shimano.

Well the Shimano is ready to use & looking at it I thought not bad for 49.99, I set it up yesterday.

But this morning I was in my tackle room looking for a pack of stick on leads for feeders & found a Shimano Aero match reel in a drawer. Not really found just forgot it was there.

I last used it for waggler fishing on the Trent about 16 yrs ago.

The thing I noticed is the build quality is way down on the mini bait runner to the match, it just shows how when something appears a good deal it has to be paid for in another way.

I can't really remember the price of the match but it must have been 70 quidish 20 or so yrs ago.

i had two shimano aero match reels and about six spare spools in my seat box when it got stolen. as they were no longer made the insurance co. replaced them with the previously mentioned aspire reels. i'd rather have the aero match though, they were brilliant.

Yes Charlie they are a good reel, in fact something you said in an earlier post about waggler fishing got me thinking I have no excuse avoiding at least trying it.

It's not like I need to buy tackle I have a rod that'll do, also a couple of year ago I had a jig made for holding a catapult but never really used it. So the Aero & jig will get an airing.

Expect a report, good or not.

I still use my Mitchell 300s :blush::blush:

John :)

Sorry mate I thought I replied to this, I must have failed to push reply :loopy:

I have some of these reels also a couple of 410s, the match reel with the automatic bail. Mitchell reels were brilliant & still are.

The only reason I won't use them for feeder fishing is the lack of a line clip, there's no way I would fish on a commercial without a clip.

Dragon carp is a great place to buy tackle. Online or they have shops at Ingoldmells and I think Donny as well but not 100% sure about last one

Dragon carp is a great place to buy tackle. Online or they have shops at Ingoldmells and I think Donny as well but not 100% sure about last one

I have to disagree, it is a great place to buy cheap tackle & if you like it that's OK. But they do sell a load of well below par gear.

A friend of mine bought an Avanti pole, very soft & bendy verging on a banana.

He also got a pair of bait runner type reels £20 for the two, one of which he gave me, in less than a year it gave up the ghost. The push button release for the handle has a small piece of gun mettle to lock in place when in use, it snapped. The reel by the way was a Fire runner.

I used it for a minimum of three times a week, I would expect more ware than that.

A lot of people buy Dragon but not for me I've tried it.

I'm after a new cheap feeder reel, something around the £40 mark.

Anyone have any ideas, I was thinking of a series 7 are these any good ?

go with a make that is well known like daiwa,korum,shimano.The thing that i have found since fishing for around 28 years is that a good named reel will out last a cheaper reel by years.The things that i have seen bought fro the fishing republic is very bad built looks good but last for days,theseas or something of that nature avoid utter cra.

I have to disagree, it is a great place to buy cheap tackle & if you like it that's OK. But they do sell a load of well below par gear.

A friend of mine bought an Avanti pole, very soft & bendy verging on a banana.

He also got a pair of bait runner type reels £20 for the two, one of which he gave me, in less than a year it gave up the ghost. The push button release for the handle has a small piece of gun mettle to lock in place when in use, it snapped. The reel by the way was a Fire runner.

I used it for a minimum of three times a week, I would expect more ware than that.

A lot of people buy Dragon but not for me I've tried it.

Couldnt agree more cheap tat.

Ok for giving the kids to start off with but not much more.

The only exeption were the 2 bite alarms for £5 but even they are only kept for emergencies even though they do the trick.