Cheapest to use electric or off a combi shower

please help,

i have a 8.5 kw shower fitted and the british gas smart meter goes off the end of the scale, when used,

my bills have doubled in the last three months

would it be cheaper to fit a thermostatically controlled off the combi

depends

I wouldn't attempt to run a shower off OUR combi, as a thermostatic shower will turn the flow rate down accordingly to adjust the temperature... but if the flow rate drops through our boiler, the darn thing switches off, so cold water runs through it - I'd rather have a constant temp shower thanks!

maybe you should consider swapping your electric shower model for one which has an economy setting?

btw, an electric shower is about the equivalent of running 3 or 4 fan heaters - which it needs its own fuse at the fusebox - so it's not surprising it sends the meter nuts whilst it's on

Poor you, I've a 10.8kw. You won't get out that uses much less! Or just wash less!

My gas costs about 1/4 of the electric per kilowatt hour.

Does that help?

please help,

i have a 8.5 kw shower fitted and the british gas smart meter goes off the end of the scale, when used,

Can you if possible take a meter reading just before the shower and one after and let me know how much it consumed in what time.?

I have a 8.5kw shower just fitted for speed and convenience but my hot water is off the Councils communal heating so a bath would be cheaper but it takes ages to fill and i think it is a waste of good drinking water!

Ps. I am having my home renovated at the moment hence asking and not taking my own reading.

please help,

For a nice shower if you have a good combi you could do away with the electric shower and just have a bath shower mixer tap set, fitted loads and work great.

All these decisions depend on the relative price of gas and electricity.Most electricity is now a by product of gas and will be dearer as it is a secondary source of energy.Best thing is to shower inside a large bin-liner as the water rebounds off the sides making for more cleansing-power.

Electric shower IS much more costly than a thermostatic mixer working via a combi. As John suggests, fit a proper mixer/shower tap to your bath and keep the electric one in case the boiler ever breaks down and leaves you temporarily with no source of hot water

My mixer shower isn't great. Neither are the taps, if someone runs another one of flushes the toilet etc the other one just stops for a while, and the same happens to the mixer shower. If you're showering and someone turns the washer on, the shower practically stops, and you can't run a bath either, as the tap doesn't run when the washer is filling up :hihi: badly fitted, or a crap combi me thinks!

My mixer shower isn't great. Neither are the taps, if someone runs another one of flushes the toilet etc the other one just stops for a while, and the same happens to the mixer shower. If you're showering and someone turns the washer on, the shower practically stops, and you can't run a bath either, as the tap doesn't run when the washer is filling up :hihi: badly fitted, or a crap combi me thinks!

I would not be too quick to blame the combi or shower.....if you have poor flow-rate/pressure on your mains then this will inevitably happen and is very common......multiple demand = loss of flow at one or more tap/outlet. 3bar+ pressure and 20l/min is normal at the incoming stop tap but I would guess yours is significantly less

I think after reading all posts,

will keep with electric shower