Does anyone recall Cross Hunt Street?

Hello there

My name is Angela Smith and I live in Nottinghamshire. My maiden name was Bage and they lived at 3 Cross Hunt Street in the 1950s. They still live in Sheffield.

When we left Cross Hunt Street I was about 4 years old. I still have memories of the place, playing on the demolition sites and using the outside toilets.

Mum & dad both say the people were amazing, all helpful. We moved to Birley and then to Hackenthorpe - my parents now live on Waterthorpe. They have both got identical health problems but thankfully they have their mental faculties.

I've just started a writing course and we're doing a project on writing our earliest memories so when I visited mum and dad yesterday (Lawrence and Mary Bage) I talked to them about Cross Hunt Street.

I'd love people to contact me about Cross Hunt Street. We were talking yesterday about the corner shop which the Melluish family had and they had lots of anecdotes about the area.

I've just joined this forum but am not used to forums at all. If anyone would like to email me direct my address is angela.kinton@talktalk.net. I will of course check the forum to see if there's been a reply.

Angela

Hello there

My name is Angela Smith and I live in Nottinghamshire. My maiden name was Bage and they lived at 3 Cross Hunt Street in the 1950s. They still live in Sheffield.

When we left Cross Hunt Street I was about 4 years old. I still have memories of the place, playing on the demolition sites and using the outside toilets.

Mum & dad both say the people were amazing, all helpful. We moved to Birley and then to Hackenthorpe - my parents now live on Waterthorpe. They have both got identical health problems but thankfully they have their mental faculties.

I've just started a writing course and we're doing a project on writing our earliest memories so when I visited mum and dad yesterday (Lawrence and Mary Bage) I talked to them about Cross Hunt Street.

I'd love people to contact me about Cross Hunt Street. We were talking yesterday about the corner shop which the Melluish family had and they had lots of anecdotes about the area.

I've just joined this forum but am not used to forums at all. If anyone would like to email me direct my address is angela.kinton@talktalk.net. I will of course check the forum to see if there's been a reply.

Angela

Angela, its Mark Melluish. Although its over 50 years ago I can still remember that shop pretty well. I was born into it in 53'and left nine years later in 62.

Looks like Mum and Dad followed your parents because they ended up in Hackenthorpe.

Sadly Dad died in 2007 and Mum in 2010, so I don't get back to Sheff at all now - I moved to Rutland in 1986.

Perhaps your Mum and Dad remember me as the little kid who used to knock about with Peter Bamforth the landlord's son from the White Hart opposite our shop

Hello Mark

I'm so sorry about your parents. If only I had started doing this project a few years ago ...

My parents remember you well, they said you were a nice child and that your parents were nice too.

I'm putting what memories I can into a scrap book for this project but I'm also including memories which my parents have so if you can let me have any memories you have I can pass them on to mum and dad.

You must have left a couple of years after we did. We were rehoused in Birley just before I started school so that would be 1960.

I've looked at the photo of the V day party and whilst the houses were very small the street architecture was very attractive with the cobbled streets and Victorian street lamps. It's only by understanding the past that we can take the good things from both present and past. Town planning seems to have destroyed the good in search for a better life - life has been better materially but we've lost some important things.

Take care

angela

Hi to all,

my name is Dave Taylor and I lived at 44 Hunt Street from my birth in 1948 until 1960 when we were rehoused at Gleadless Valley. I was originally trying to to find a map of the area when I came upon this forum whereby I recognised a few names and became interested on what happened to various residents. I remember Mrs Melluish who ran the corner shop and also  the White’s who had a son I believe was named Kevin.  Brandwood’s newsagent shop was on St Phillips Rd and I believe they took on another newsagent’s at Park Hill flats in the early 60’s. both myself and my younger brother Robert attended Crookesmoor school and played football and cricket on the tip in all weathers. My brother still resides in Sheffield however me and my wife ( who was born and lived in Hillsborough) travelled extensively and we eventually settled in Grantham where we have been for 12 years. My parents lived their lives in Sheffield and both passed away in 2014 but lived into their 90’s and are still missed. Other residents I recall are the Webster’s, Eckersley’s and Mrs Noakes. Our neighbours at 46 Hunt St were my cousins Paul, Clive & Ian Taylor. 

Hi Dave Taylor - welcome to the Forum! ☺️ You mention that you were looking for a map of the area. Some 1950s large-scale Ordnance Survey maps can be found via the "sheffieldhistory" website. Here is a link to a section showing Hunt Street that I've copied: https://i.postimg.cc/Y0bK2GCk/Hunt-St.jpg

I am sorry to say that Mark Melluish died about approx 2 years ago

Looks like my post #23 photo of Cross Hunt St. VE party has expired, so I'm re-posting it.

VmfmsCu.jpg