Does anyone recall Cross Hunt Street?

Mark

I am sure that one of the other threads on this forum found an old street map of the area - dont know where to start looking though

Try http://www.clickhere.org.uk I have used this to look at old maps of Netherthorpe Just had another look and I have found Cross Hunt Street - other side of St Philips road from where Dover Street went off. I have some photos (slides) taken around 1960 of a St Anne's church parade in the area - taken by my uncle - have spent quite a long time trying to work out exactly where they were taken but finally decided that one of the street names is Cross Hunt Street - I think it shows the shop on ther corner. Do any of you who lived in the area remember anything about Bethel Street. My grandparents had a shop there - on the corner opposite Netherthorpe School - but I think they had gone from there by the end of the 1930s so you may not remember the family

Originally posted by TWA756

Try http://www.clickhere.org.uk I have used this to look at old maps of Netherthorpe Just had another look and I have found Cross Hunt Street - other side of St Philips road from where Dover Street went off. I have some photos (slides) taken around 1960 of a St Anne's church parade in the area - taken by my uncle - have spent quite a long time trying to work out exactly where they were taken but finally decided that one of the street names is Cross Hunt Street - I think it shows the shop on ther corner. Do any of you who lived in the area remember anything about Bethel Street. My grandparents had a shop there - on the corner opposite Netherthorpe School - but I think they had gone from there by the end of the 1930s so you may not remember the family

Do you have the photos on your PC? - I am interesetd for two reasons - I lived in the shop that you think is in the shot - also I was in the cub pack that was attached to St Annes church - the only parades I remember were the ones at Whitsun when we walked up to Weston Park for the 'Whit sings'

Many thanks for this, I shall navigate it when I can find the time.

Sorry to say thatI dont recall anything about Bethal Street.

docmel - please check your pm inbox for message

docmel - please check your pm inbox for message

Thanks - have sent you reply

My mother was born at No 7 Cross Hunt St in 1908. I also have a photo of the VE party (1945) that was held there, either on Hunt St, or Cross Hunt St.

Edited by carosio

My paper round included Hunt Street,Cross Hunt Street,Bellfield Street,Hammond Street Cross Hammond Street and Bromley Street in the 1950s for Branwoods on St.Philips Road.

My paper round included Hunt Street,Cross Hunt Street,Bellfield Street,Hammond Street Cross Hammond Street and Bromley Street in the 1950s for Branwoods on St.Philips Road.

hiya my aunt laura and uncle harry lived at 27 hunt street their name was

White lauras maiden name was Pass her parents lived towards the top of st philips road.as i remember cross hunt st was opposite the White heart pub and the said st ran from the junction of bellefield lane /st? or was ithe bottom of mushroom lane and st philips rd. lauras aunt lived in yard there, laura had cousins brian and his sister? another name was dennis brown and his wife brenda who i think lived on cross hunt st. what was Herbert's name harry always said crossy,

Edited by willybite

hiya my aunt laura and uncle harry lived at 27 hunt street their name was

White lauras maiden name was Pass her parents lived towards the top of st philips road.as i remember cross hunt st was opposite the White heart pub and the said st ran from the junction of bellefield lane /st? and st philips rd. lauras aunt lived in yard there, laura had cousins brian and his sister? another name was dennis brown and his wife brenda who i think lived on cross hunt st. what was Herbert's name harry always said crossy,

Hi willybite, I am sorry I have only just seen your post if you are referring to "Herbert" who ran the paper shop it was "Brandwood" but if I recall it was known by I think his in laws name as well who probably ran it before and I took papers at the same time as his sons and their granny lived there at the time and they took the newsagents on Parkhill when it opened as their shop was pulled down around 1960

Brenda Brown is my Aunt. So far as I know both her and Dennis are still going strong. Thet did indeed live at 10 Cross Hunt Street following the death of my Grandmother Gladys Hackett wife of the late William

Aunt Brenda passed away last year

Edited by kensimmo
more info