River trent/ newark dyke

Reckon the levels should finally be back to normal by the weekend, so going to try my luck around newark. Not fished the dyke for donkeys years, but if i can remember how to get to it ( red bridge ) it holds some fantastic memories of huge bream shoals, resident somewhere in the mid 30s pegs. i keep hearing the odd rumour the trent is on its way back, and i am hearing this from more and more anglers not just the barbel lads. has anyone braved the horrendous levels on the trent since opening day so as to put some credibility to these rumours.

smeatons strech is cracking mate,only 7 pegs though and you have to book on,plenty of barbel,bream,chub and tons of roach and bleak on the stick

smeatons lakes and caravan site,give it a google and you'll find it easy enough mate

I know its alot further down but had a drive past laughterton on the tidal yesteraday. I don't know what the tide was but the level was seriously high and totally unfishable, the pegs were no where to be seen. So you may need to find what the levels are like before you set out.

i won a match many yrs ago on the dyke with a double figure bleak catch and pipped the runner up by just 2 oz! we used to get some nice chub catches on there throwing the feeder right across. Also used to love fishing the weir area nr the gypsy camp in newark altho you had to watch your car/tackle like a hawk.

smeatons lakes and caravan site,give it a google and you'll find it easy enough mate

Thanks animal, just googled it and booked the last 3 pegs for sat. Going to try the stick . thanks again, will let you know how we got on.

I know its alot further down but had a drive past laughterton on the tidal yesteraday. I don't know what the tide was but the level was seriously high and totally unfishable, the pegs were no where to be seen. So you may need to find what the levels are like before you set out.

Thanks cliff, been told its about a foot up and dropping so hopefully o/k for sat

Thanks cliff, been told its about a foot up and dropping so hopefully o/k for sat

bout a foot should be ok,hallibut pellet for barbs,lucky to get on there on a weekend,good luck mate

well thurs /fridays monsoon put the mockers on that little trip, still went and paid for the pegs we had booked , and just fished the on site ponds. The river had rose over a meter in 48 hours , but 3 hardy souls were still fishing and needing 5/6 ounce just to hold bottom under there feet, remarkably they had 9 barbel, best 9lb and they were loving it. looks a gem of a stretch ( thanks animal ) will deffo be back when the levels drop and i can run my stick float through,but 6 ounce weights just aren,t my cup of tea im afraid. the barbel lads backed up what animal was saying 20lb of roach/ dace on the stick commonplace and huge bream nets to the feeder on pegs 5/6 when the river is right. cant wait to get back.

well thurs /fridays monsoon put the mockers on that little trip, still went and paid for the pegs we had booked , and just fished the on site ponds. The river had rose over a meter in 48 hours , but 3 hardy souls were still fishing and needing 5/6 ounce just to hold bottom under there feet, remarkably they had 9 barbel, best 9lb and they were loving it. looks a gem of a stretch ( thanks animal ) will deffo be back when the levels drop and i can run my stick float through,but 6 ounce weights just aren,t my cup of tea im afraid. the barbel lads backed up what animal was saying 20lb of roach/ dace on the stick commonplace and huge bream nets to the feeder on pegs 5/6 when the river is right. cant wait to get back.

no probs mate,i love it there and if you do a 24 hour you can get chinese delivered to your peg at night !! lol