Is The Boardwalk ever going to reopen as a music venue

Would possibly be viable if freehold, but as far as i'm aware greedy property company Enterprise Inns still own it.

Under the Boardwalk had a fair bit of work done on it to get it up to scratch as a venue. I was asked if I was interested in being involved and had a couple of meetings. As far as I'm aware, Enterprise vetoed the idea.

Turns out the bloke that rang me purporting to "own" the premises, only had a lease (seems like a few ten bob millionaires in Sheffield, jokers and chancers that they are, like to drop the line that they "own" somewhere whilst in reality they're renting from the freeholder:-).

Enterprise didn't want another live music venue competing with the empty one they were trying to let.

I think the chap probably lost a fair bit of money on that (Under the Boardwalk) and the upstairs Boardwalk venue remains empty 2 years later, go figure?!? :loopy:

Edited by Tuffty

I heard that the other venue thats under the Boardwalk was gonna reopen, no idea if its true tho. Hopefully the Boardwalk will make a comeback, i personally played some of my favourite gigs there.

I played under the board walk recently, I prefer the drifters version to bruce willis. :hihi::D

off the beaten track? its near the markets, its not far from o2, its round the corner from the main shopping area and a tram stop and not far from west st, and has a bloody great hotel next to it :suspect:

Nobody ever goes down there, why do you think it closed?

the boardwalk should be saved and kept purely for its historic musical significance

It was the place where the Clash played their first ever gig, with another band called the Sex Pistols. I had the chance to go, but stayed in because I'd never heard of either band at the time.

Nobody ever goes down there, why do you think it closed?

Agree its off the main "pub circuit" and not sure being near the markets is a good thing look what happened to the markert tavern and cannon.grotty area imo.

It was the place where the Clash played their first ever gig, with another band called the Sex Pistols. I had the chance to go, but stayed in because I'd never heard of either band at the time.

you did'nt miss much. :hihi:

Under the Boardwalk had a fair bit of work done on it to get it up to scratch as a venue. I was asked if I was interested in being involved and had a couple of meetings. As far as I'm aware, Enterprise vetoed the idea.

Turns out the bloke that rang me purporting to "own" the premises, only had a lease (seems like a few ten bob millionaires in Sheffield, jokers and chancers that they are, like to drop the line that they "own" somewhere whilst in reality they're renting from the freeholder:-).

Enterprise didn't want another live music venue competing with the empty one they were trying to let.

I think the chap probably lost a fair bit of money on that (Under the Boardwalk) and the upstairs Boardwalk venue remains empty 2 years later, go figure?!? :loopy:

Del?? apparently did a good job refurbing the venue (Under the Boardwalk) as a bar but never traded it for whatever reason. Enterprise didnt veto the idea. Apart from anything else Admiral Taverns were his Landlord who in turn had a lease from Enterprise, who in turn had a long lease on the whole property.

The Boardwalk upstairs is available to let through Brownhill Vickers

Enterprise didnt veto the idea.

Sounds to me like they did, from the chap who tried to get live music provision added to the Under the Boardwalk lease...

"Initial ambitions have been thrown into doubt because of a wrangle with leaseholders Enterprise Inns."

“They said putting music on downstairs would compromise their efforts to relet The Boardwalk upstairs as a music venue, and that I only had permission to operate as a public house with dining and ancillary uses,” said Del.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/a-year-on-del-in-dark-over-boardwalk-spin-off-venture-1-3505619

Why are enterprise allowed to continue letting pubs go to the wall? Aren't the breweries complaining at this establishments failed pub history?

Sounds to me like they did, from the chap who tried to get live music provision added to the Under the Boardwalk lease...

"Initial ambitions have been thrown into doubt because of a wrangle with leaseholders Enterprise Inns."

“They said putting music on downstairs would compromise their efforts to relet The Boardwalk upstairs as a music venue, and that I only had permission to operate as a public house with dining and ancillary uses,” said Del.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/a-year-on-del-in-dark-over-boardwalk-spin-off-venture-1-3505619

If this was the case they they just didnt facilitate it. Seems crazy to spend so much on a place without having the permission in place for the intended use.

If this was the case they they just didnt facilitate it. Seems crazy to spend so much on a place without having the permission in place for the intended use.

Yes, I agree.