Should cars banned from our cities on Sundays

Dont know if you have been in Sheffield on a sunday but its not actualy teaming with cars . They are all at Meadowhall. So if you stop cars you shut all shops as well and restarants . You live in cloud cuckoo land.

So Bogota with a population 14 x bigger than Sheffield has no shopping malls or restuarants?

You need to read the link!

Bogota -

"The city - one of the largest in South America - is a teeming metropolis, home to more than seven million people.

But on a Sunday vehicles are nowhere to be seen. Instead, the streets are taken over by pedestrians and cyclists, thanks to Ciclovia, a traffic-free streets initiative run by the city authorities.

The scheme, backed by successive mayors, has been running in one guise or another since the mid-1970s.

It now covers nearly 100km of roads in the centre of the city on Sundays and public holidays.

But as well as making Bogota a quieter place to roam, the ban on cars also has a health benefit.

The city - one of the largest in South America - is a teeming metropolis, home to more than seven million people.

But on a Sunday vehicles are nowhere to be seen. Instead, the streets are taken over by pedestrians and cyclists, thanks to Ciclovia, a traffic-free streets initiative run by the city authorities.

The scheme, backed by successive mayors, has been running in one guise or another since the mid-1970s.

It now covers nearly 100km of roads in the centre of the city on Sundays and public holidays.

But as well as making Bogota a quieter place to roam, the ban on cars also has a health benefit.

Research has shown about a million residents regularly walk around on a Sunday, a fifth of whom say they would be inactive if it were not for the ban on vehicles.

Dr Michael Pratt, who was involved in the Lancet research on physical inactivity, said the Bogota scheme was a "wonderful example" of how governments could be encouraging more exercise."

Sedentary lifestyle can kill

yes, except disabled

I don't drive but I don't think they should be banned, they are a life blood for a lot of people. As people have said perhaps city wide free parking would be a bonus for them, I don't know what car drivers want.

I think I'd be right tho in thinking, don't want banning on the one day they can go out.

So Bogota with a population 14 x bigger than Sheffield has no shopping malls or restuarants?

You need to read the link!

Bogota -

"The city - one of the largest in South America - is a teeming metropolis, home to more than seven million people.

The city - one of the largest in South America - is a teeming metropolis, home to more than seven million people.

Research has shown about a million residents regularly walk around on a Sunday, a fifth of whom say they would be inactive if it were not for the ban on vehicles.

Dr Michael Pratt, who was involved in the Lancet research on physical inactivity, said the Bogota scheme was a "wonderful example" of how governments could be encouraging more exercise."

Sedentary lifestyle can kill

bogota is a real dreadfull place to live do you want to live like them.

Simple answer, no they shouldn't.

Some people need their cars on a Sunday, and who's to decide what's a valid reason and what isn't.

I have a gig this Sunday in town. I don't fancy taking a PA system on the bus. I assume that'd be ok?

I'm not disabled, not technically a trader or anything like that - presumably a blanket ban would stop me using my car/van, assuming typical exceptions as aforementioned.

You could always hire a horse and cart that should please the tree huggers. :hihi:

I think we should enforce Sunday opening hours for all retail stores and enforce free parking in all cities on Sundays.

Who wants to walk 12 miles to Sheffield to find all the shops are closed.

Are you MAD ?? :loopy: Why should employees be forced to work ?? and why should transport be free :huh: If you want to go and spend your money why should you be subsidised to do so ??

Well ? Why ?

I think we should enforce Sunday opening hours for all retail stores and enforce free parking in all cities on Sundays.

Who wants to walk 12 miles to Sheffield to find all the shops are closed.

Sheffield city centre is a dump anyhow. I wouldn't walk 100 yards to get there. I can't think of a decent shop or a decent pub. Its all pound shops selling tat. Certainly if I had to go on the bus I would leave the place alone entirely.

Are you MAD ?? :loopy: Why should employees be forced to work ?? and why should transport be free :huh: If you want to go and spend your money why should you be subsidised to do so ??

Well ? Why ?

You've hit the nail on the head there. Why give customers what they want? It's not as if they could shop at other better places instead. Oh hang on a minute they can.

Edited by Riannon

Well ? Why ?

No one is forced to work, and transport isn't free. Parking should be free on Sundays.

Sheffield is a dump as far as attracting people to spend money,except drunks on a weekend night time.

It's cheaper for me to go to The Lowry than the Lyceum.

Why? 'cos i can spend my money elsewhere where people see the importance of transportation,ease of movement and convenience.If town centres want my money then give me a reason to visit.

Edited by willman
added sunday.

As if there isn't enough problems already getting Wellington Street car boot going.

I understand the logistical issues and obviously emergency service vehicles would have to be exempt.

However like in Bologa and other cities where the Sunday car ban is implemented eventually we would all adapt and events of such natures would be planned around the car ban.

Imagine no cars this Sunday and therefore you're able to cycle, walk, play or do almost anything you want on any city road in Sheffield!

The health, fun, feel good, community and environmental benefits far out weigh any slight inconveniences.

Slight inconvenience?

Ok, next weekend, when we play, you can come carry our gear for us to town. We play lots of parties on Sundays, so you can try your theory out for us. There's only 4 x 50kg bass bins, 2 PA speakers, a full drum kit, amps, instruments, keyboards, lots of wires, mixers, lights and plenty of other stuff.

You'll be fine with that on the bus won't you? Cool. See you at 5pm!

bogota is a real dreadfull place to live do you want to live like them.

Yes in bigger doses most South American cities have more sever appalling social conditions and poverty, now imagine how more dreadful it would be for the Bogotas inhabitants if they did'nt have a car free Sunday?

Then consider how much better our cities and quality of life would be with a car free Sunday!

Slight inconvenience?

Ok, next weekend, when we play, you can come carry our gear for us to town. We play lots of parties on Sundays, so you can try your theory out for us. There's only 4 x 50kg bass bins, 2 PA speakers, a full drum kit, amps, instruments, keyboards, lots of wires, mixers, lights and plenty of other stuff.

You'll be fine with that on the bus won't you? Cool. See you at 5pm!

As I've already said events and stuff would be planned around the car ban just like they manage and cope in other cities.