Does any company pay a decent wage except minimum wage for support workers?

Private sector will always pay as little as they can get away with, NHS will always pay more as it is so badly run

You would be surprised at how many opportunities there are in the care-sector.

It does have a high turnover of staff,and as someone has said it's a vocation.

Start on the bottom rung,and you can work your way up pretty quickly if you knuckle down,and do some study.

I started off doing svq3 health and social care.Then svq4 management.

I'm looking into doing a degree online,and hopefully get some of it paid for.

I also moved through the different services ie: Autism,homeless young adults and people suffering severe depression.

My ultimate aim is to become a care inspector.

It's a booming industry, with as i said numerous opportunities.

I work as a support worker, profound learning disabilities and challenging behaviour for the NHS it is a really good wage.I have had on going training for 3 years completed my diploma and have loads of qualifications .We have to be available to work christmas day etc as we are open 24 hrs 365 days a year be very flexible coming in at short notice covering shifts and work long hours.Support worker jobs vary as to what pay scale you get.:) Walking miles in the snow when everything comes to a standstill for a 10 day shift pattern is dedication enough lol

Edited by waddy

Educational establishments like FE Colleges and Universities employ support workers and they pay a lot higher than minimum wage.

Haven't found anywhere yet that does pay much more than minimum wage. Still, I figure we don't do these kind of jobs to be millionaires, would just be nice if the satisfaction alone of making a difference would scare the debt collectors off for us!

:loopy:

I wish it did

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/images/smilies/smile.gif

Why is "minimum wage" not a decent wage?

What???

Before I turned 25 (so I didn't get tax credits)

I worked full time on minimum wage

paid my bills

my rent

my council tax

put £25 a week in the bank, to save for holidays or emergencies

and had about £25 per week spending money, that includes food

I was walking distance from work, if I had needed to catch the bus, that would have left me with less than a tenner spending money, including food money, per week - I wouldn't have had any savings.

so tell me, what is wrong with minimum wage?

Support worker jobs advertised today at Sheffield Teaching Hospital Trust

Band 2 £14153 rising to £17253

Here's the link which you may need to copy and paste but job may only be up for 24 hours as they get inundated

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/advsearch?rownum=11&sort_order=R&display_type=T&show_desc=Y&class_session_id=&jbe_exists=0&scc=NH&total_hits=13&resonly=0&internal_only=N&group_internal=N&displayrows=10 Good luck

nobody..all care work is low paid,it's a disgrace

I am taking out a man with dementure tomorrow. I will plan the day, engage him in conversation, try and get him to recall stuff and ensure he has a good time. I am expected to have a car to drive him around for which I get 45 pence per mile, 2 pence less than my agency claim for him and I will get a tad more than the minimum wage for my trouble. If we eat anywhere, I have to buy my own food. Five hours work for £30.

Personally I think the minimum wage is an appaling piece of legislation. All it has served to do is surpress everyones wages. Employers, if they can get away with it, will only pay what they can get away with, which is the minimum wage. Usually this means that a breadwinner receiving this has to rely on top ups in the form of tax credits, and housing benefit to make ends meet.

It's a silly system, whereby everyones tax (even those on minimum wage) subsidises those top up benefits. It's just a silly merry-go-round.

As I understand it (but I may be wrong), the minimum wage was supposed to be a way of stopping the sweatshop type employers from abusing it's staff. But all it's achieved is to make the £6.08 a benchmark for what is in reality a very poor wage!

nobody..all care work is low paid,it's a disgrace

Did you read the post directly above yours? It has a link to a support job on more than minimum wage.

And here's another link for 8 jobs in Crookes: http://jobs.mencap.org.uk/onlinejobs/jobsearch_detail.asp?thumb=1%7C1%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0&id=5465

Full time wage is £14k. Not a fortune, but more than minimum wage.

What???

Before I turned 25 (so I didn't get tax credits)

I worked full time on minimum wage

paid my bills

my rent

my council tax

put £25 a week in the bank, to save for holidays or emergencies

and had about £25 per week spending money, that includes food

I was walking distance from work, if I had needed to catch the bus, that would have left me with less than a tenner spending money, including food money, per week - I wouldn't have had any savings.

so tell me, what is wrong with minimum wage?

The greedy landlord and inflate house prices

why would any employer pay for then they have to? you dont need to be a rocket scentist to be a support worker. with the amount of people desperate for a job.

Those comments sound like someone who hasn't got a clue what it takes to be a support worker. My girlfriend spent 3 years looking after her mum, and the demands are immense, especially mentally. She wanted to help others in a similar position after she went into a home, and now works as a support worker earning just above minimum wage, only getting paid for the call time and not much mileage, while sometimes getting chased out of someones home at times. You'd find it bloody difficult I'm telling you.