Post Office in West Street closing (now re-opened)

Is it true that the PO in West St is closing?

Yes it's true - notice at the Post Office says temporarily but the staff don't seem to know how long 'temporarily' is. GT News the newsagent where the Post Office is housed closed on Friday (13th)

there wont be any left in city centre soon

Strange that there is always a queue not matter what time or day I go there. Why would it be closing?

typical another one closed so u can use the one in the co-op and cue for hours while everyone who has come from getting their giros cash em in:rant:

I must admit, I mostly use the one behind the Peace Gardens or the Coop if I'm in town.

typical another one closed so u can use the one in the co-op and cue for hours while everyone who has come from getting their giros cash em in:rant:

One of the reasons the P.O. are having problems staying operational is that the Labour Government of the time decided to cease Giro and book payments which accounted for a lot of the P.O. trade. They wanted benefits to be paid into bank accounts instead as they can then be traced and overpayment quickly recovered. Part of the policy was also to close down post offices. This has been phased in over the past several years and very few people now on benefits receive giro's, book payments have already ceased.

No Giro's at all will be issued after September and and for those without bank accounts a Simple Payment Card will be issued. Pay point machines will be used instead so expect more queues at shop counters!

So your quip about Giro queues is not correct and more to do with the lack of Post Offices.

After September they'll be giving crisis loans out on cards rather than giros then? Thats what the giro queue in Castle House PO is, people collecting crisis loans. You can only cash it there.

Edited by Leah-Lacie

After September they'kk be giving crisis loans out on cards rather than giros then? Thats what the giro queue in Castle House PO is, people collecting crisis loans. You can only cash it there.

:clap::clap:

I must admit, I mostly use the one behind the Peace Gardens or the Coop if I'm in town.

Excuse me but where is the one behind the Peace Gardens exactly?

Its opposite the Howden House council office thingy building