7% Increase In Population. Are We Full?

I suppose it's better than the Conservatives who continually crap on most people dring their time on office and then bribe them with tax cuts to get re-lelcted before crapping on them once more.

So it doesn't matter who craps on you as long as it’s not the conservatives.

Crap is crap no matter whose arse it comes out of.

So it doesn't matter who craps on you as long as it’s not the conservatives.

Crap is crap no matter whose arse it comes out of.

Maybe so, but the Conservatives doing the biggest crap on most people and that's something nobody can deny.

So it seems that Spain are about to invoke Article 7 of the 2004 EU directive on free movement, which gives EU member states the power to define it ‘without prejudice to national border controls’ – in other words, entry conditions can be imposed on other EU citizens by member governments. Link.

Hmm. Kept that quiet, didn't they?

Maybe so, but the Conservatives doing the biggest crap on most people and that's something nobody can deny.

What have they done that has affected you?

I can’t I’ve noticed them crapping on anyone.

What have they done that has affected you?

I can’t I’ve noticed them crapping on anyone.

That's because you don't want to

I can't say I've noticed the Conservatives crapping on me. But then again, I work for a living.

That's because you don't want to

I don't want to do what?

What have they done to you?

How have they affected you?

So it seems that Spain are about to invoke Article 7 of the 2004 EU directive on free movement, which gives EU member states the power to define it ‘without prejudice to national border controls’ – in other words, entry conditions can be imposed on other EU citizens by member governments. Link.

Hmm. Kept that quiet, didn't they?

from the article: "A new ministerial order, slipped out by the Spanish government on July 9, states that any EU citizen living in Spain for more than three months must prove they will not become a financial burden on the State by producing a job contract or documents confirming they have enough money to support themselves.

If they are jobless, they must also show they are covered by health insurance."

Nothing strange about that. Other countries do it, too.

You couldn't enforce anything like that in the UK, because how the hell do you know who's been there for more than 3 months? Where do people register when they enter the UK? Once they've been there for more than 3 months, where would they go to show their job contract to somebody? If the state wanted to find them where would they look? Where do they live?

Why do you think the UK is such a popular destination?

EU law requires EU member states to treat members of other EU states in the same manner that they treat their own citizens. If people from other EU member states are required to have health insurance, then presumably Spaniards are required to have health insurance, too.

If you live in Germany, you are required to have health insurance. Most people get it from the state (deducted along with the taxes.) If you really want to, you can take out a private health insurance.

If you go to hospital, you will be treated. After the treatment, you will be given a bill - which you take to the next door window, along with your heath insurance card. You don't have to pay - your health insurance does that.

In the UK you don't have to pay - and you don't need health insurance, either [which does make life a bit easier for illegal immigrants and tourists ;)]

You can't make other EU citizens produce proof of health insurance if you don't require your own people to do so.

If you want people living in the UK to be able to prove they can support themselves, then first of all, you have to know where those people are.

Are you saying that the Spanish have the answers to these questions?

because how the hell do you know who's been there for more than 3 months? Where do people register when they enter the UK? Once they've been there for more than 3 months, where would they go to show their job contract to somebody? If the state wanted to find them where would they look? Where do they live?

Are you saying that the Spanish have the answers to these questions?

I've no idea. - It's a long time since I was last in Spain (they weren't even in the EU the last time I went there ;)'.)

The Brits certainly don't, though.

As I said in my previous post, if a country wants people to prove they can support themselves, then first of all, they need to know who those people are and where they live.

During the past 15 years, I've stayed overnight (or for extended periods) in 4 European countries: Germany, Belgium, France and the UK. In 3 of those countries I had to show my passport when I registered at an hotel and if I intended to stay there permanently (or for an extended period) I was obliged to register my address. It was hardly a gross invasion of privacy. If I wanted to open a bank account, get a driving licence or get a job I had to prove who I was and where I lived.

Again, hardly a gross invasion of privacy.

In the 4th country - and I know you can guess which one that was - once I was in the country, that was it.

EU member states are obliged to allow citizens of other member states to take up residence in their own state, to practice a trade or profession as self-employed persons (subject to local licencing requirements), to seek work or - if they can support themselves through their own resources - simply to live there. They are not obliged to take in unemployed people from other member states and support them. - Why should they be so obliged?

The Spanish government haven't come up with a new law - they've merely decided to enforce the existing law.

You've clearly not tried to open a UK bank account in the last decade have you.

I don't think that hotels ask for passports routinely here, but maybe that's because being British I wouldn't be carrying it anyway.

A German colleague I worked with had no end of hoops to jump through to open a UK account though, and I'm pretty sure she (like everyone else) had to demonstrate that they were legally entitled to work in the UK, just like I do when I change jobs.