Homemade ice cream

For those of use who are a wee bit older and remember the taggies ice cream I've almost perfected it! Well as far as I'm able to recall the taste/look after many unsuccessful tries!!

Rich Vanilla Ice Cream

4 Egg Yolks

1/2 pint milk

1/2 pint double cream

1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence

1) Put egg yolks and sugar into a bowl and whisk until a light colour

2)Heat the milk in a pan to just below boiling point. Add a little of the hot milk to the egg-yolk mix and stir to blend, then pour in remaining milk.

3)Pour back into pan and heat gently, stirring until the froth disappears and the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil.

4)Leave the custard to cool, then stir in the cream and vanilla essence.

5)Pour into a container and freeze for 3 hours. Tip into a bowl and mash to break down ice crystals. Return to container. Freeze for 2 hours. Mash and freeze for a further 2 hours. Remove from freezer 1/2 hour before serving.

I use an electric mixer for the 'mashing' bit, I have found that if you don't do this bit properly the resulting ice cream isn't as smooth as it can be. Sounds a bit of a faff but it is really easy. I don't have an ice cream maker and don't intend to buy one as I really enjoy making it!

Looking sounds good....i sure will must be try this at home...i also found one this type of nice recipe from a home weekly magazine.I sure will must be next time post here.....Thanks for sharing this....

My mum makes her own ice-cream and makes hers with carnation its absolutely devine.

My mum makes her own ice-cream and makes hers with carnation its absolutely devine.

Sounds fantastically wrong, yum! How does she make it?