Sheffield Antiques Quarter

So did the grand launch of the Antiques Quarter take place at the end of September or not? I seem to have missed it.

I think it's now scheduled for Saturday 24 November, combined with a Christmas market.

Looks as though it sort of might have happened after all, according to this article in the Star today. Though of course it suffers from the Star's usual inability to spell a simple word in the title (opesn). But there seems to be another launch in November as well.

Mum and I visited the Broadfield Road shops the other day, and for an area to attract people the area has to be attractive to start with. Litter on the street, trees/bushes overgrown that it was impossible to walk on the pavement; - had to walk on the road at one point.

I can't stand it when people or organisations try to promote an area, based on little actual reality. To call the Heeley/Abbeydale Road area the 'Antiques Quarter' is grossly misleading - when what it mainly amounts to is, just a few junk shops spread out over some of the scruffiest parts of town.

the sheffield antiques quarter will be having the launch on the 25th november broadfield road 11 till 5 .. a vintage christmas fair .. this is achance for all the business to get together and promote the area . promote the businessess within the area ..

Think it's a good idea/well intentioned.

I'm not sure it's the best part of the city for it though - it's a bit far out and also not really the type of area I'd want to leave my car unattended for too long.

I really like the new Nichols Building at Shalesmoor, but will still probably just drive to York for this kind of thing, which from north Sheffield you can make in an hour (compared to well over half an hour to get across Sheffield due to the poor road system).

Hi I think the 30 businesses involved in the development of the area would denfinately disagree with you. They are working hard to bring positive develoment to the area for the benefit of their businesses of course - but they are doing so in partnership with Sheffield City Council and local groups to bring overall improvement to an area that really needs it.

They are all local businesses offering a huge variety of wares from Retro, Vintage, Arts, Antiques, Militaria to Salvage and services with a vintage twist. we have put together a trail flyer to help people find their way and we can only see things getting better and smarter. I sdo think youre being a little harsh and unfair implying its merely junk shops.

The development and coming together of businesses in this way is somewhat unprecedented in the UK and hopes to stand as an example for other cities to follow and I think your kind of comment offers little support to an area working very hard to improve itself and offers little to support Sheffield at a difficult time for everyone.

We are holding an official launch of the area and a ‘Vintage Christmas Market’ Sun Nov 25th 11am-5pm perhaps you might like to join us and perhaps we might just prove you wrong...!! kind regards Sheffield Antiques Quarter http://www.sheffieldantiquesquarter.co.uk

Think it's a good idea/well intentioned.

I'm not sure it's the best part of the city for it though - it's a bit far out and also not really the type of area I'd want to leave my car unattended for too long.

I really like the new Nichols Building at Shalesmoor, but will still probably just drive to York for this kind of thing, which from north Sheffield you can make in an hour (compared to well over half an hour to get across Sheffield due to the poor road system).

I am so sorry - the Antiques Quarter area may be slightly industrial and a little scruffy (funding being cut everywhere isnt helping) but to imply you cant leave you car in the area is unfair..... Come on give a little support to Sheffield....... SAQ

Edited by HS59

This would be great for Sheffield and that area where there are quite a few such places - surely some brown signage and some web pages to tie it all together on a "visit Sheffield" web page can't cost the council that much !!

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/idea-for-antiques-quarter-1-4461204

Hi - We've come some distance and now have a website an facebook page and a Welcome to Sheffield link ........

sheffieldantiquesquarter.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/SheffieldAntiquesQuarter

http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/dms-connect/search?dms=13&c1=front&feature=1&venue=2141777&easi=true

I guess you have to think about when people would make an effort to travel to an antique quarter. It's easy for me because I just live round the corner, I already know it's there and I also know that it's better to go on a weekday, early afternoon when the shops are open and you can easily park on-street, for free. But will all the shops be open at the weekend when people might want to shop? And is there anywhere to park if you do (not exactly a shed load of space to park at the moment) And how far do you set out the quarter, who do you exclude? The easy bit is for the traders to agree it's a great idea, the hard bit is to agree the details...

Hi

Have a look at the map we have produced to go with our flyer to help people find their way around (it also show parkign in the area) any comments would be very welcome... kind regards SAQ http://sheffieldantiquesquarter.co.uk/map/

So did the grand launch of the Antiques Quarter take place at the end of September or not? I seem to have missed it.

No - bit of a blip - The Sheffield Antiques Quarter Vintage Christmas Launch Event will take place on Sunday 25th November from 11am-5pm.

The Event will be concentrated on the Broadfield Road. There will be an official launch of the Quarter by Councillor Bramall and The Lord Mayor will also attend the event. There will be live local music throughout the day, 25+ market stalls that will showcase the quarter, community groups as well as refreshments, christmas activities and much more.

Please pop the date in your diary we'd be delighted for you to join us - you can even go mad and dress up...retro or vintage.

The group first got together 6 months ago we have come a long way in a relatively short time- i promise we really have.. with 30 businesses (Sheffields own) involved you can imagine!!!! SAQ

I live in Nether Edge and can't say I saw any promotional material surrounding it...

Have you spotted any recently??