Sheffield Antiques Quarter

Mum and I visited the Broadfield Road shops the other day, and for an area to attract people the area has to be attractive to start with. Litter on the street, trees/bushes overgrown that it was impossible to walk on the pavement; - had to walk on the road at one point.

Hi

- youre right - the area is scruffy and we are working on this. But there are some great bits and areas where you can access the river Sheaf too.

Abbeydale Road it looking pretty tidy BUT still much to do. This is also what the Quarter is about and i hope you will notice a big change in the next year.... we are way of Brick Lane but eh its worth a shot....SAQ

Abbeydale Road is a predominantly Asian inner-city area, with a few tatty shops & numerous takeaways. To promote it as some kind of Antiques tourist attraction is totally misleading, & is going to leave people somewhat disappointed. Trades Descriptions Act springs to mind!

Edited by Dragonfall

I discovered the antiques quarter myself the other day while visiting somewhere on Abbeydale Road, was really impressed, feels like a real hub of these kind of shops and my girlfriend absolutely loved browsing some of the shops while I went for a pint in the Broadfield (I'm not much of a shopper), keep up the good work, it's nice to see little quarters like this developing in Sheffield.

So how did it go down there yesterday? Well attended?

(I thought about going, but went for a run instead.)

[mbatey]

The event was excellent. There was hundreds of people purchasing from our 32 stalls. We had live music throughout the day, entertainment people dressed in attire for the occassion everyone was made welcome and with the food stalls creating a aromatic smell that was to die for it really was overall a fantastic event and if you look on Sheffield Antiques Quarter facebook page you will see some of the fantastic comments!! SAQ IS NOW OFFICIALLY ON THE MAP SO PLEASE CARRY ON TO SUPPORT US!!! You missed a good day by going for a run dont miss the next event!!!

Abbeydale Road is a predominantly Asian inner-city area, with a few tatty shops & numersous takeaways. To promote it as some kind of Antiques tourist attraction is totally misleading, & is going to leave people somewhat disappointed. Trades Descriptions Act springs to mind!

:( You obviously did not pick up one of the SAQ flyers which clearly display a map of the area and if you had you would have seen that there is much more to the quarter than abbeydale road. Also you obviously did not attend the event on Sunday because if you had would have been blown away by the shere intensity of the market. Please listen out for the next event and if you can attend because I feel your view will change!! I see you a blades fan? If Sheff United can back usbwith us being prominently in their area , why is it their fans cant??

What a fantastic event it was! A brilliant atmosphere too.

It's great to see regeneration in the abbeydale area, bringing with it a sense of pride, achievement and community! Well done all!

Hi

Have a look at the map we have produced to go with our flyer to help people find their way around (it also show parkign in the area) any comments would be very welcome... kind regards SAQ http://sheffieldantiquesquarter.co.uk/map/

This is a better link for the map as it's downloadable and printable -

http://sheffieldantiquesquarter.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/SAQ-Leaflet.pdf

I attended. I live in Nether Edge so it was a short walk for me.

It was very well attended. In fact we couldnt get a seat in The Broadfield afterwards. It was heaving!

Nice to see other areas getting a look in other than Ecclesall, Sharrowvale and Nether Edge.

Just had a look at the website and Facebook stuff - really well put together.

Looks like a great idea - really hoping it takes off and makes that whole area feel a bit more 'loved' and upmarket.

[mbatey]

:( You obviously did not pick up one of the SAQ flyers which clearly display a map of the area and if you had you would have seen that there is much more to the quarter than abbeydale road. Also you obviously did not attend the event on Sunday because if you had would have been blown away by the shere intensity of the market. Please listen out for the next event and if you can attend because I feel your view will change!! I see you a blades fan? If Sheff United can back usbwith us being prominently in their area , why is it their fans cant??

I certainly have nothing against the project, & wish it the best of luck. Maybe there should be some articles with photos in The Star or Telegraph?

I am suspicious that cleaning it up will make the prices go up!

I quite enjoyed wandering around the respective antique and junk shops round there. The dirt, clutter and chaos was part of the charm. everything is becoming so sterilised and samey.