Norfolk Park motor racing

does any one remember the motor racing in Norfolk Park?

hill climb circuit was set up and everything from old Morgans to race cars raced up.

cannot remember the year.

any photos would great. I sat behind a rope at the hairpin.

that would be the one!

great find. thanks

just checked on the site for a hill climb at "Templestowe". I live about 20 minutes drive from this now derelect hill climb. had the steepest bit of track (that still exist's) in the southern hemisphere. and I have just spent the day at one called "Rob Roy" for an interclub championship meeting. great site

Edited by robertl

Organised by Sheffield & Hallamshire Motor Club, as a 'one-off' event it attracted a big crowd and was blessed with fine weather. I don't have a programme, but the date looks right as it was part of "Sheffield Motoweek", promoted by the Star.

It didn't happen again because of the noise! Sunday morning and a full race Chevrolet V8 outside your bedroom window proved too much.....

There were a few motor bikes as well. All good fun.

Edited by Cyclecar

The cycle road races in the Park used draw in thousands all free why not again.

We went to this event. It was great.

My dad owned a 1936 Morgan, when I was a young child, in British Racing Green, we called her Genevieve.

Hi dafodil, Yes, why not again ??

Anybody out there with experience of organising bike races, please speak up !

The road surface needs a good sweep. Will look forward to seeing an event in there again, I'm sure it could attract some of GB's elite cyclists.

Slightly off topic, anyone remember the city centre cycle races.

Circuit lap was the Moor, Fitzwiliam Gate, Charter Row and the road from Charter Row roundabout back to the Moor.

Think it may have also been televised on C4 as part of a weekly city cycling tour,

Organised by Sheffield & Hallamshire Motor Club, as a 'one-off' event it attracted a big crowd and was blessed with fine weather. I don't have a programme, but the date looks right as it was part of "Sheffield Motoweek", promoted by the Star.

It didn't happen again because of the noise! Sunday morning and a full race Chevrolet V8 outside your bedroom window proved too much.....

There were a few motor bikes as well. All good fun.

That was a brilliant day. I seem to recall that the Clerk of the Course came within a whisker of calling it off but the total enthusiasm of the organisers kept it going.

It introduced many to the smell of Castol R that day-that takes some beating!

Shame it was a one off but as you rightly say V8's reving in a built up area on a Sunday afternoon would not be tolerated.

Slightly off topic, anyone remember the city centre cycle races.

Circuit lap was the Moor, Fitzwiliam Gate, Charter Row and the road from Charter Row roundabout back to the Moor.

Think it may have also been televised on C4 as part of a weekly city cycling tour,

My Roger raced in those events.

I have heard on the grape vine that they are trying to organise them again Council and health and safety permitting?

Wonder if anyone remembers Terry Stone driving his ex Jackie Oliver mustang at that event. When it was his turn to go up the hill the throttle jammed open and it slammed into a tree piercing one of terry,s lungs. I wonder if anyone else remembers??

Wonder if anyone remembers Terry Stone driving his ex Jackie Oliver mustang at that event. When it was his turn to go up the hill the throttle jammed open and it slammed into a tree piercing one of terry,s lungs. I wonder if anyone else remembers??

I remember Terry driving in the event but I don't remember the crash.