If SF enforced passport pictures as avatar- Would you be in favour?

Passport ID style photograph as avatar- For or Against?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Passport ID style photograph as avatar- For or Against?

• In favour
    • I'm against
    • Can't decide
    • Use someone else's picture

Errrrrmm, well. Up until a few weeks ago I had a link in my signature of my youtube where I play guitar openly showing my face, so I don't think I really would mind, as I don't think what I say is ever out of order.

I took it down because someone took exception to something I said and started leaving stupid comments on my videos, so I no longer have it up.

Now my posts, and everything I say in them are covered by my current signature, so I don't think I'd have a problem with having my PP photo as my avatar.

Cheers for being honest :)

Errrrrmm, well. Up until a few weeks ago I had a link in my signature of my youtube where I play guitar openly showing my face, .

You were playing your guitar openly showing your face?

What offence is that? or are you a crap guitarist? :hihi:

Got to admit it would be hard to enforce upon people, but who knows I would put my picture up, don't blame me when membership suddenly collapses though.

I have put my name on here before & I have nothing to hide, I would hope that the majority think like myself, though I am a bit naive.

But in reality it is a forum; people join, or choose not to, and up to now there are no limitations in place to my knowledge. I gather that they call people trolls, I have always used WUM's, but it would seem that it can be a serious thing by some sick people.

Until it becomes an absolute necessity in law, we have to leave it like it is. I mean if ever it did become law that people had to put a genuine picture up, then the only way I can think of it being certifiable is as now with a passport, and only certain people can endorse pictures.

Thing is. As I realized earlier. Even if we had to attend an induction before we could get our membership up and running. Even if a member of admin team took our picture which was then stored on a system specifically designed for all social networking members within the UK. Even if our pictures and personal details were then processed through that system and added to Sheffield Forum and our pictures and real names became our avatars and user names, there'd still be a very strong possibility that a person who was trolling isn't the actual person who attended the induction. Obviously, it would have to be someone who had access to their computer, passwords and security codes etc, someone who was using their account without their knowledge or consent, or it could be the actual member just claiming some mystery person had accessed his account, but either way their actions would turn the system into an expensive pointless exercise.

Thing is. As I realized earlier. Even if we had to attend an induction before we could get our membership up and running. Even if a member of admin took our picture which was then stored on a system specifically designed for all social networking members within the UK. Even if our pictures and personal details were then processed through that system and added to Sheffield Forum and our pictures and real names became our avatars and user names, there'd still be a very strong possibility that a person who was trolling isn't the actual person who attended the induction. Obviously, it would have to be someone who had access to their computer, passwords and security codes etc, someone who was using their account without their knowledge or consent, or it could be the actual member just claiming some mystery person had accessed his account, but either way their actions would turn the system into an expensive pointless exercise.

I do agree, and with the levels of computer expertise out there its quite scary, I'd never heard of trolling till I came on here. I'm just an old fashioned type of bloke who liked to think I can trust people, but it does show that we can trust practically no-one these days--sad but true.

Thing is. As I realized earlier. Even if we had to attend an induction before we could get our membership up and running. Even if a member of admin team took our picture which was then stored on a system specifically designed for all social networking members within the UK. Even if our pictures and personal details were then processed through that system and added to Sheffield Forum and our pictures and real names became our avatars and user names, there'd still be a very strong possibility that a person who was trolling isn't the actual person who attended the induction. Obviously, it would have to be someone who had access to their computer, passwords and security codes etc, someone who was using their account without their knowledge or consent, or it could be the actual member just claiming some mystery person had accessed his account, but either way their actions would turn the system into an expensive pointless exercise.

As I've just said, this isn't the point, this isn't the real question.

The point of the question really is to ascertain whether or not you would say the things you say on Sheffield Forum, IF everyone knew your identity.

Whether it is possible or not is absolutely irreverent for this question.

As I've just said, this isn't the point, this isn't the real question.

The point of the question really is to ascertain whether or not you would say the things you say on Sheffield Forum, IF everyone knew your identity.

Whether it is possible or not is absolutely irreverent for this question.

But this is the very point you're missing. How would know for sure that I actually am the person pictured on my avatar?

Having one's identity known does induce a certain amount of self-discipline!

Having one's identity known does induce a certain amount of self-discipline!
I take it you're not familiar with facebook?

I take it you're not familiar with facebook?

:shocked: A cold sweat just ran down my back...

:shocked: A cold sweat just ran down my back...
How I regret making reference to the F network. this'll start my ticks off again.

No- nor do I want to be.
Don't know about you but "airing dirty laundry in public" springs to my mind.

It's like the Jeremy Kyle show in text speech.