Knee graze with grit in it

my lo age 5 fell at school on tuesday and now has a small scab on her knee with one bigish bit of grit in it, its red and hot around the wound but she wont let me near it to 'dig' the grit out which is causing the bother, im cleaning it and putting savlon on but worried about infection...

we used to use epsom salts and glycerine to draw the offending article and infection out, can i still try this? or are there new improved methods!!?? she isnt unwell or anything, its just very sore!

any tips most grateful for!!

if it's got grit in it you have to remove the scab and clean it throroughly several times or it won't heal...it'll become infected and very sore.

Do it in the bath, when the scab is softer and use a clean cotton cloth (like a terry nappy or similar) to scrub it. It will be sore and your child will not want you to touch it (screams, pulling your hand away, etc) but it's worth it to get rid of all the infection and grit. I'd use pure soap (sold in soap bars for cleaning still) for a few days to repeat the process until it scabs properly.

Sorry it's not a nice thing to have to do.

if it's got grit in it you have to remove the scab and clean it throroughly several times or it won't heal...it'll become infected and very sore.

Do it in the bath, when the scab is softer and use a clean cotton cloth (like a terry nappy or similar) to scrub it. It will be sore and your child will not want you to touch it (screams, pulling your hand away, etc) but it's worth it to get rid of all the infection and grit. I'd use pure soap (sold in soap bars for cleaning still) for a few days to repeat the process until it scabs properly.

Sorry it's not a nice thing to have to do.

I doubt the OP will have left it for 10 days!!

Well, she might have! I had a similar graze when I was the same age, and wouldn't let anyone clean it properly because it hurt. 60 years down the line, it's still there inside a nasty grey coloured scar on my knee. :)

yes, I thought that too... but then it's worth it just in case. Also, other people may look at the thread for advice too.