Dumbest travel mistakes?

....................I bought a new suitcase whilst abroad. Got to Heathrow, waited for my case...............nothing. After a long flight delayed and redirected because of the volcanic ash problem, I was in no mood for my case to go missing. Found the service desk and reported my green case missing, filled in the form, then a member of staff came and said 'this is yours' I said no mine is green, did a double take and realised I had actually bought a BLACK case................OOps!!!!

A friend of mine, alongside another of her friends, tried to get to the Trafford Centre from Manchester City Centre and ended up in Liverpool....

I was in that there London watching my football team last season and I was pretty well served after the game. I got on what I thought was the train to Sheffield but ended up in Shenfield in Essex.

Taxi back to London. No more trains to Sheffield so caught the last one to Donny. Then a taxi from Donny to Sheffield.

One of my more expensive away day jaunts.

taking about 5 Malawi Gold cobs over the borders of Zambia/Zimbabwe and then into South Africa. Not just the dumbest travel thing, but probably the dumbest anything I ever did. I could still be in some African jail 18 years later if I'd have lived that long, which is unlikely.

I was a popular guy at my new workplace in Cape Town though, when I did eventually get there.

I travelled on "grey rabbit " a hippie bus co' which opp''d in the 70's from eugene oregan to berkeley, san fran ,half the price of greyhound .the trip started with the driver lighting one of the biggest spliffs I"ve ever seen and passing it round the entire bus...the back 2 or 3 rows of the bus had been converted to a bed with a curtain drawn across .where if, anyone you took a fancy you could go and have sex with:love::hihi:

for half the trip there was a bloke from kentucky who's party peice was swallowing water into is throat and gargleing bluegrass tunes with it ,I'd never seen anything like that before ,and nearly got an hernia from laughing.

we stopped for a 2 am meteor shower in the hills somewhere plus a nude swim ,,and still got to san fran quicker then greyhound

a little bit wiser though:hihi::

This tread was about dumbest travel mistakes that journey sounds like The Who,s Magic Bus fantastic story.

Planning a day off trip to the beach so putting Whitby in to my sat nav and travelling hundreds of miles in the wrong direction to Whitby, Ellesmere Port. The worst part was walking around looking for the sea front and the beach with my towel!

I used to commute to Derby on the train, sometimes catching the 7:10ish train to London (via Chesterfield, Derby, etc.). There was also a train about 10 minutes later on the same platform - also to London (via Chesterfield - then non-stop to London).

In a rush one day, I jumped straight onto the train that was at the platform. I didn't realise I'd got on the wrong one until I noticed the different countryside after Chesterfield. It was only when it went through Leicester without stopping that I realised I was going all the way to London... The conductor was very sympathetic! I got the next train back home and booked a day off as holiday.

I did exactly the same again about a year later... :blush:

I got on the wrong connecting coach and ended up hundreds of miles from my destination.

Not half as bad as a friend who intended to travel home to York, after a few beers, and fell asleep, only to be awoke in Edinburgh.

I got on the wrong connecting coach and ended up hundreds of miles from my destination.

Not half as bad as a friend who intended to travel home to York, after a few beers, and fell asleep, only to be awoke in Edinburgh.

Multiple coaches leaving simultaneously can be a big problem.

Sheffield-London NX coaches often travel in packs, some stopping at some places and others not. The same applies northbound. This particularly applies to Golders Green [each way] and Marble Arch [southbound]; plus northbound departures from Victoria and GG sometimes go via Sheffield and sometimes not. My rule, when I used the service regularly, was to ask everyone wearing NX uniform to confirm the precise route (even if three of his/her colleagues had already assured me of it!)

Paying a farmer a few quid in Thailand for a ride to the next village seemed like a good idea. It started off well, sat in the back of his pickup catching the sun with my backpack for a cushion. Until he overtook the cyclists we were following and proceeded to drive the next 20 miles over rutted roads as fast as he could manage. I have never been as badly bruised and generally beaten up in my life. Next time, I'd walk...

The first time I went abroad not on a family holiday, booked the hire car for the wrong month and at the wrong airport. Took a £50 taxi right from one venice airport to the other and then about 5 hours to sort out.