IPad 1 lagging like crackers

Can anyone tell me why the iPad one with the latest update 5.11 is lagging like a snail stuck in glue ?

I keep all my apps closed and use only one at a time, I regularly clear the memory so it's got 70mb of so free but still it lags.

The Internet lags like crackers, have to click 2-4 times on a link to get it to open.

I click on home button and nothing happens for 10 seconds then it works.

Keyboard fails to pop up when trying to type for 10 seconds or so.

The games stutter and lag at times.

This was a nice fast bit of kit until iOS 5 went on and now I'm loathing the sight of it.

DO you think apple maybe making iPad one user experience a little naff so they are forced to upgrade ?

Time for an upgrade to the ipad 3...

Time for an upgrade to the ipad 3...

On contract with this till march :mad:

DO you think apple maybe making iPad one user experience a little naff so they are forced to upgrade ?

No - mines still working perfectly well.

It might be worth doing restore via itunes though.

No - mines still working perfectly well.

It might be worth doing restore via itunes though.

To be fair , it's never been the same since iOS 5 crashed on it during upgrade and froze it in a upgrade thingy. Black screen with loading bar across it for 11 hours ??

I had to take it back to apple who said bad download and they fixed it.

Since then it's been very buggy and that, crashes when I get an email. I hear the ding of incoming mail and whatever I'm using then crashes back to desktop.

It might not even need restoring, just turning off and rebooting - I hardly ever do on mine, but it did get a bit stuck a couple of weeks ago after installing a new game.

But in general I don't notice any problems with it.

my 'new' ipad (ipad3) still has to think for a second sometimes before doing certain things on ios5 so i don't think it's a case of apple slowing down older hardware; more trying to get more and more out of every update than your model was originally intended to handle.

Apple's backwards compatibility has always been spot on, but i think I'm going to stop updating mine 6 months after the next one comes out so I don't have the same problem.

As for why some ipad 1's fair better than others... I couldn't say :/

I did have a very drunken conversation with somebody who has spent the last couple of years rubbing my nose in the dirt about his glorious ipad and how he is living in the future, whilst I sit cold and lonely with my desktop mac.

Unfortunately for him I've used Macs in various forms for the last 14 or 15 years and I keep keep an eye on what they are up to. Some of it's good but I've started to find the general philosophy behind the company pretty bad.

Even though your ipad is a couple years old it's now pretty much obsolete and not designed for or powerful enough to run the current OS.

Apple are a hardware company first and foremost and what better way to get people to buy the latest ipad than by offering an OS update that will brick or limit the functionality of older machines.

You could try and revert back to the older OS but I think you might have to jailbreak it to do that.

It's probably caused by some of the iCloud background syncing. I've disabled some of the iCloud functionality on my iPad 1 and it's back to being speedy again.

I can imagine it's quite frustrating. My iphone's jailbroken literally just so i can tap the power button twice to switch on my flashlight. If that function was native in iOS, then i wouldn't bother with a jailbreak.

I think the best approach is to jailbreak - making sure cydia saves your shsh blobs (whatever they are) and then you can downgrade if the device has problems on a newer firmware.

Mine did the same factory reset sorted it bud

Mines working fine on the latest os