First's new money making scheme - bus drivers don't carry a change float

Sounds like a grumpy driver, did he give her the change after his rant or let her on for free? If she got a free ride then I wouldn't complain, or next time you'll get a voucher for change.

Mod Note:

Threads merged

Please use the search function before creating a new thread

Thank you.

I've been on plenty of buses where they take your fare but don't give you a ticket for various reasons, usually ticket machine broke down or no paper. happens a lot on stagecoach buses.

We have only Stagecoach buses out this way and a good deal of the ones on our route are from Sheffield (according to the website the 77 Chesterfield bus are run by Stagecoach South Yorkshire which you're led to believe the buses are actually Sheffield based and Stagecoach East Midlands).

If you get on with the incorrect change and the bus driver cannot give you the correct change in return, it's rounded up to what he can give you and you're given another ticket called a change voucher. It's happened to me a few times but I have no idea what use they are or what you're supposed to do with them because the driver just said give it to the driver of the next bus you get on and I'm yet to find a driver who'll take it.

We have only Stagecoach buses out this way and a good deal of the ones on our route are from Sheffield (according to the website the 77 Chesterfield bus are run by Stagecoach South Yorkshire which you're led to believe the buses are actually Sheffield based and Stagecoach East Midlands).

If you get on with the incorrect change and the bus driver cannot give you the correct change in return, it's rounded up to what he can give you and you're given another ticket called a change voucher. It's happened to me a few times but I have no idea what use they are or what you're supposed to do with them because the driver just said give it to the driver of the next bus you get on and I'm yet to find a driver who'll take it.

That bus is ran by the chesterfield depot not any of the Sheffield ones, its only the chesterfield depot that issues change vouchers. They are a good idea and should be broughtin at all depots. If a driver ddoesn't accept it then report him, we are supposed to accept them whatever bus unless the driver really has no change that you try to use it on. I got one the other day and gladly gave him the 9 pound he was owed from it. Drivers should be glad of it as it saves the arguments of not having change

BEWARE!!!!!!! First are striving to make more money by not having a float first thing in the morning!!!! My fare came to £2.50 I gave him £3. He couldn't give me the change and said that if he didn't have the change by the end of my journey, then I would have to claim it back off the company!!!!!!!!! This process takes 48 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many people are going to claim back 5p 10p 20p???????????????????

Dispicable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a load of garbage!!!!!!!!!!

I started working for First approx 2 years ago, i was offered a £5 float, which i refused (as i won't have to pay it back if i leave)

I carry a £10 float, £5 in 20p's, £4 in 50p's and £2 in 10p's which is my own money.

Now, if the first person who gets on my bus has a £10 note, then i'm screwed, as most of my change has gone, resulting in the next person getting on with a note (presuming correct fare passengers have not got on) being frustrated with me having no change.

Should i carry more float??? no, why should i? where will it end? If i carry £20 that would also go if people keep getting on with notes.

As someone said earlier, i'm not a bank, and to be fair, my £10 in change usually is enough, but it's not my fault that some people choose to have large notes, expecting drivers to have loads of change.

The ruling with first is..... if someone gets on with a note, and you don't have the change, then issue a credit note, ie, someone gets on with £10 and wants a £1.50 fare, then a credit note of £8.50 is issued. The passenger travels.

Then on the next bus, when the passenger gets on another bus, they present the credit note to the driver, who will refund the amount, minus the fare they are paying on his bus.

If however he does not have enough change, and the passenger does not travel on many buses, they can go to the archway at the bus station and claim the amount on the credit note.

Simple eh???

So to say First are not giving floats to drivers is total rubbish.

Well being the first passenger on the bus this morning as usual I have watched and heard every other passenger hand over their fares and seen that all so far hhas the rightmoney. TThen the first person to hand over a larger note was grunted at and had to say he would wait till he gets off for his change!

I know the driver had enough change from just his takings this morning so what's that about?! strange

Well being the first passenger on the bus this morning as usual I have watched and heard every other passenger hand over their fares and seen that all so far hhas the rightmoney. TThen the first person to hand over a larger note was grunted at and had to say he would wait till he gets off for his change!

I know the driver had enough change from just his takings this morning so what's that about?! strange

Because if he is running late he can save time by getting the change ready later or he needs to ensure that if the next person gets on with a smaller note then he has change available.

Maybe he was been decent to other passengers if it was raining (no idea when you got on or where) to get them on the bus quickly

possibly

What a load of garbage!!!!!!!!!!

I started working for First approx 2 years ago, i was offered a £5 float, which i refused (as i won't have to pay it back if i leave)

I carry a £10 float, £5 in 20p's, £4 in 50p's and £2 in 10p's which is my own money.

Now, if the first person who gets on my bus has a £10 note, then i'm screwed, as most of my change has gone, resulting in the next person getting on with a note (presuming correct fare passengers have not got on) being frustrated with me having no change.

Should i carry more float??? no, why should i? where will it end? If i carry £20 that would also go if people keep getting on with notes.

As someone said earlier, i'm not a bank, and to be fair, my £10 in change usually is enough, but it's not my fault that some people choose to have large notes, expecting drivers to have loads of change.

The ruling with first is..... if someone gets on with a note, and you don't have the change, then issue a credit note, ie, someone gets on with £10 and wants a £1.50 fare, then a credit note of £8.50 is issued. The passenger travels.

Then on the next bus, when the passenger gets on another bus, they present the credit note to the driver, who will refund the amount, minus the fare they are paying on his bus.

If however he does not have enough change, and the passenger does not travel on many buses, they can go to the archway at the bus station and claim the amount on the credit note.

Simple eh???

So to say First are not giving floats to drivers is total rubbish.

If a business wants to provide a service then it should do just that and make sure it caters for ALL its customers needs especially allowing for correct payments.

How would you react if you went into a shop for a pint of milk with a fiver and they told you they couldnt be bothered to keep a suitable float so your not going to get your change but you can apply to get it from an address given..Eventually!

Personnaly i blame the idiots who use busses who allow this Extortion to go on.Its not about convenience,its about profiteering.Buses have for years managed ok.

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 11:01 ----------

How many business would treat their customers like that and expect to get away with it? Grunt at me and id give em something to grunt for!

If a business wants to provide a service then it should do just that and make sure it caters for ALL its customers needs especially allowing for correct payments.

How would you react if you went into a shop for a pint of milk with a fiver and they told you they couldnt be bothered to keep a suitable float so your not going to get your change but you can apply to get it from an address given..Eventually!

Personnaly i blame the idiots who use busses who allow this Extortion to go on.Its not about convenience,its about profiteering.Buses have for years managed ok.

They should also start taking credit/debit card payments too...

---------- Post added 29-01-2014 at 11:01 ----------

How many business would treat their customers like that and expect to get away with it? Grunt at me and id give em something to grunt for!

I understand what you are saying, but on the other side, how much float do you expect drivers to carry?, when will it stop? My £10 float is what i am comfortable with.

Over the past 2 months, 5 drivers have been robbed / attacked, 3 at Westfield (held up with air guns), 1 at Ranmoor (dragged off the bus and beaten) and the other robbed by 5 guys on east bank road. All documented on the news.

Most of our duties are split in 2, so when i finish my first bus, i pay in most of the money, leaving my float for the second half, so i am not carrying large amounts of cash with me.

Remember, the £10 float is mine, not the companies, and if i get held up, i lose my money. So i am not prepared to carry larger floats, i'll lose more.

Remember, the £10 float is mine, not the companies, and if i get held up, i lose my money. So i am not prepared to carry larger floats, i'll lose more.

That's your personal choice though..in a post higher up you said that you didn't want the company's float..