First's new money making scheme - bus drivers don't carry a change float

Guest busdriver1
I asked someone else to explain this and they didn't.

How do you get the ATM to give you change? It always gives me notes.

I will give you a simple answer to that one. PLAN AHEAD

I will give you a simple answer to that one. PLAN AHEAD

You've failed to answer the question and given an instruction instead. Of course ATMs do not give out change.

So I'll give you a simple reply, carry a float.

That's aimed at the company of course, not you.

Probably because it seems a bit of a daft question when it's obvious that you don't actually get change out of a ATM

Well done. The bank gives out notes, not change.

but with a bit of common sense application you gets your notes from the hole in the wall the day before, then during the course of the day, spend one of the notes which gives you some change.

Perhaps I could spend one on a bus...

Oh, no, you mean spend one somewhere else. So another shop has to act as the float carrier for first.

This you then put into one of your pockets until you go out again in the morning and viola Bingo, you are able to give the bus driver pretty much as near as dammit, your fare for the bus ride.....OK:?:

It's fine, if I happen to want to go somewhere today, and buy something and then carry change around. All for the convenience of a national company who can't be bothered to issue floats or give change.

Alternatively, I don't like carrying change around, I don't buy very much using cash, and if I want to catch the tram or the bus I will most likely be paying with a note and expecting change. Strangely enough in much the same way that I would in a shop where you recommend I get my change anyway!

BEWARE!!!!!!! First are striving to make more money by not having a float first thing in the morning!!!! My fare came to £2.50 I gave him £3. He couldn't give me the change and said that if he didn't have the change by the end of my journey, then I would have to claim it back off the company!!!!!!!!! This process takes 48 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many people are going to claim back 5p 10p 20p???????????????????

Dispicable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is normal most places in the world I have been.

Well done. The bank gives out notes, not change.

Perhaps I could spend one on a bus...

Oh, no, you mean spend one somewhere else. So another shop has to act as the float carrier for first.

It's fine, if I happen to want to go somewhere today, and buy something and then carry change around. All for the convenience of a national company who can't be bothered to issue floats or give change.

Alternatively, I don't like carrying change around, I don't buy very much using cash, and if I want to catch the tram or the bus I will most likely be paying with a note and expecting change. Strangely enough in much the same way that I would in a shop where you recommend I get my change anyway!

Or perhaps, as no company I know of actually issues a float to their drivers, they consider the cost of administering such a float to be less than letting the odd passenger ride for free (although I doubt the people who number crunch such things for the companies realise the extent of the problem).

Let me ask you a question. Its been explained that the companies do not issue a float, so you're aware that it's down to the driver to supply a float from his own money if he hasen't had sufficient time to collect enough change from the rest of his shift. Is it fair that he should have to dip in to his own wage to provide a service for someone who, however you paint it, can't be bothered to get change in advance, when there is no legal imperative for him to provide change?

No it's not fair, but it's not a problem that the customer should deal with, it's a problem the company should deal with.

However you paint it, they are running the business and they should provide change.

No it's not fair, but it's not a problem that the customer should deal with, it's a problem the company should deal with.

However you paint it, they are running the business and they should provide change.

But they don't and they're is no sign that they will in the near future. So by refusing to get change, when you're perfectly able to, you're not sending a message to the company, all you're doing is saying to the bus driver 'I couldn't be arsed to get change, YOU deal with it' knowing full well there is a chance that the money will have to be stumped up by the driver himself. Not very fair is it, as you've admitted yourself..

The bus driver is the face of the company, he can and should pass the message on.

The only lack of fair behaviour is coming from the company and it's employee's, the public are not and should not be obliged to try to make the employees life better because of a stupid company policy.

In a shop offering a service you expect change. A bus is offering a service, and you expect change in the same way.

If the bus driver ever complains about a large note handed to him, I tell him, "Well do YOU see any bank machines giving £1 coins around here?"

The bus driver is the face of the company, he can and should pass the message on.

The only lack of fair behaviour is coming from the company and it's employee's, the public are not and should not be obliged to try to make the employees life better because of a stupid company policy.

Clearly, you don't know how bus companies work. The only people who treat bus drivers with less respect than the general public are those that employ them. A driver complaining about the situation will make little difference.

As you're so concerned about the lack of change situation, I assume you've written to the companies to complain? After all, taking out your frustration (or offering a lack of co-operation) on an employee who can do nothing about the situation wouldn't reflect to well on you, would it?

It's not really the customers problem what the relationship between the company representative and the rest of the company is.

No, why should I have to write to them? I don't catch the bus, vote with my wallet as it were.

If tescos decide to stop giving out floats, will you simply get your change elsewhere before shopping, or do you feel that as a customer you are entitled to pay with cash and receive change?

It's not really the customers problem what the relationship between the company representative and the rest of the company is.

No, why should I have to write to them? I don't catch the bus, vote with my wallet as it were.

If tescos decide to stop giving out floats, will you simply get your change elsewhere before shopping, or do you feel that as a customer you are entitled to pay with cash and receive change?

What I wouldn't do is wilfully keep presenting notes for small value items knowing full well that the shop assistant would have to fund my change from their own pocket, but then I'm thoughtful like that.