Battle of Brunanburh

Those of you who, like myself, believe this incredibly important battle took place at Tinsley might be interested in Lloyd Powell's and Gary Talbot's talk on the subject at the Queens Head Pub on Monday, 23rd, 10.30 to 1pm £5

Those who believe it took place elsewhere, are also welcome!

Elmet, what was their conclusion on this great battle?

No-one can agree on the landing of the Norse fleet (Mersey? Humber? Solway Firth?) let alone the battle itself when they linked up with the Scots to face King Athelstan of Wessex! Was the battle at Catcliffe, Bromborough, York Vale or Burnswark?

Those of you who, like myself, believe this incredibly important battle took place at Tinsley might be interested in Lloyd Powell's and Gary Talbot's talk on the subject at the Queens Head Pub on Monday, 23rd, 10.30 to 1pm £5

Those who believe it took place elsewhere, are also welcome!

I believe that there were five Kings killed in one day in this battle.The late Leslie Beckitt wrote a book in depth on this subject and i believe that the battle was fought in the Wickersley Bramley mothern and laughton areas not forgetting Whiston,the land is much more suitable for a battle of this type.i doubt if you will obtain a copy of Les Beckitts book now unless you apply to Rotherham libries who may help out.

Hi Bullerboy, what evidence do you think supports this region- even proponent Michael Wood revised his 1981 In Search of the Dark Ages opinion from the Brinsworth location to a massive hill by the R.Went (Wendun) near the Roman A1 where a Roman fort is named in the DomesDay Book.

Egil's Saga (describing a huge, long slope flanked by a river and a wood), upon whom we rest the geography of the battlesite, might describe the above landscape, as A.H.Burne asserted, as equally as near York.

Hi Bullerboy, what evidence do you think supports this region- even proponent Michael Wood revised his 1981 In Search of the Dark Ages opinion from the Brinsworth location to a massive hill by the R.Went (Wendun) near the Roman A1 where a Roman fort is named in the DomesDay Book.

Egil's Saga (describing a huge, long slope flanked by a river and a wood), upon whom we rest the geography of the battlesite, might describe the above landscape, as A.H.Burne asserted, as equally as near York.

I personaly have no evidence its is what i discussed with L.es beckett a few years ago, have a read at his book and that will help you far more than i can.Les is now gone so I cant help you there but he went really in depth and researched this for many years.I am no academic but he was and very well known for his writings,perhaps Wickersley History group can help you.

Elmet, what was their conclusion on this great battle?

No-one can agree on the landing of the Norse fleet (Mersey? Humber? Solway Firth?) let alone the battle itself when they linked up with the Scots to face King Athelstan of Wessex! Was the battle at Catcliffe, Bromborough, York Vale or Burnswark?

As an ex Brinsworth/Catciffe area resident this sounds interesting,but if the battle has a name,how come nobody knows where it is. When they do identify the location maybe Time Team can do a dig of it.Looking forward to seeing this.

As an ex Brinsworth/Catciffe area resident this sounds interesting,but if the battle has a name,how come nobody knows where it is. When they do identify the location maybe Time Team can do a dig of it.Looking forward to seeing this.

It's thought that the battle might not have been a place familiar with the many Chroniclers, or that it had largely been forgotten by the time the Normans took over 130yrs later? Had it been well recognised a place (whatever the nearest village was), it would have been recorded.

In any case, we don't positively know for sure where Hastings (or Senlac/Santlache), amongst other battles, was fought?

And as for Time Team, afraid we've lost that gem (and Mick, RIP).