Moving to Sheffield and looking for a knitting group

Hi all,

I am moving to Sheffield in August and am really keen to get to know more people. Im only 27 and most people would suggest going to bars and pubs. But i dont like to go out and am looking for a knitting group so i can learn how to knit! i dont have any experiance with knitting and dont even own anything to get started with. i would really love some advise on how to get started and if there are any free groups around Sheffield i could come along and join in with.

Im coming all the way from Australia and thought this might help me adjust to living in england!

Thanks

Kelley

Sheffield's quite a big place although known as the biggest village in England. If you're around Hunter's Bar area then the wool shop to go to for advice about 'life, the world, and the uiverse as well as knitting is The Wool Baa. On a Tuesday evening from around 6.30 there is a group that meet at the Psalter on Psalter Lane. A very fluid group of all ages and abilities.

i will be in hillsborough about 10 mins from town and on the tram line!

It doesn't take a deal to get started with knitting, a pair of needles and a ball of wool and you're on your way to a hat. It doesn't take up half of your house either, not when you start anyway. There's a fine line between "knitter" and "yarn collector"

It doesn't take a deal to get started with knitting, a pair of needles and a ball of wool and you're on your way to a hat. It doesn't take up half of your house either, not when you start anyway. There's a fine line between "knitter" and "yarn collector"

Where are you hiding all your fluff n stuff these days, W4B? Or are you a good girl these days and destashing? I can't remember the last time I bought yarn....:D

Happy knitting Kelleyt. Mgknit offers some sound advise. Have a look over this site and you will find tips and hints.

Edited by Wheezy

John Lewis has a free group. Last Wednesday in the month from 5.30 to 7.30. Groups, however, aren't really designed to teach you to knit - though members are happy to give advice and help. You really need either a beginners course - John Lewis sometimes run them - or a good book, youtube video etc. There are several other groups in Sheffield where you can meet other knitters, really depends in which area you want to be.

Just seen a thread that recommends Running with Scissors in Sheffield for basic knitting courses. They teach cast on and off, knit and purl and you do a small project to take home. Look them up on the net.

There is a knitting group at St Marys on South Road which is near to you, I think it's Thursdays about 1ish there's a new one at Walkley library once a month, that's even closer or there's a new one at the baby and wool Boutique on Crookes every Thursday morning, they're very keen to teach people the basics. I reckon the John Lewis group, The Wool Baa or Cocoa or The Psalter would be better for you. If you go to The Wool Baa you may learn a whole new vocabulary...

. ....... If you go to The Wool Baa you may learn a whole new vocabulary...

New vocabulary??? I don't know what you mean :-)

I am always happy to show people how to knit. Just call in :love:

New vocabulary??? I don't know what you mean :-)

I am always happy to show people how to knit. Just call in :love:

You used to get coffee too in the good old days. Call in - it's an experience! ;):D

Is the knitting group in the Blake still going? That's not far from Hillsborough and they have nice beer - another English tradition you should learn about :D

Is the knitting group in the Blake still going? That's not far from Hillsborough and they have nice beer - another English tradition you should learn about :D

It's still going. Starts at 7.30.