Conservatories - Recommendations & advice Megathread No quotes or ads

Hi. We would recommend that a new kitchen is put inside a purpose build extension rather than a conservatory. Purely from an everyday point of view, the heat, steam and grease generated by a kitchen would lead to condensation and cleaning issues in a conservatory where there is generally a lot of glazing and the thermal performance of the walls and roof will not be as good as a well-built extension. A kitchen is also one of the more highly “serviced” rooms with the number of power sockets needed, plus gas supply, dedicated power for oven etc. are much easier to maintain and hideaway in an extension.

As far as price goes I know a lot of builders have a rule of thumb of £1000 per square meter, but as this s a kitchen with more services and fittings than any other residential room it would be worth speaking to a builder to get a free quote as a guide. We can suggest a builder if you would like.

If you would like any further advice we do offer an “Architect in the House” service where we can visit you at your home and offer an hour or so consultation, asking only for a donation to the charity Shelter.

Hope this is of use.

Hi. We would recommend that a new kitchen is put inside a purpose build extension rather than a conservatory. Purely from an everyday point of view, the heat, steam and grease generated by a kitchen would lead to condensation and cleaning issues in a conservatory where there is generally a lot of glazing and the thermal performance of the walls and roof will not be as good as a well-built extension. A kitchen is also one of the more highly “serviced” rooms with the number of power sockets needed, plus gas supply, dedicated power for oven etc. are much easier to maintain and hideaway in an extension.

As far as price goes I know a lot of builders have a rule of thumb of £1000 per square meter, but as this s a kitchen with more services and fittings than any other residential room it would be worth speaking to a builder to get a free quote as a guide. We can suggest a builder if you would like.

If you would like any further advice we do offer an “Architect in the House” service where we can visit you at your home and offer an hour or so consultation, asking only for a donation to the charity Shelter.

Hope this is of use.

That would be my choice too. Our neighbor went for a conservatory and now has to have scaffold up every time something needs doing to the gutters because they can't get a ladder near enough.

An extension with a glass section in the roof seems like a good compromise.

I don't get conservatories, the ones I've been in at other people's houses have been like sitting in a goldfish bowl that's either too hot, too cold and like being in a dodgy, noisy caravan when it rains :confused: Nasty things! Of course maybe they were just cheap conservatories, but IMO if you're going to to do, do it right.

I would go with a extension

Rather than a conservatory we opted for a single storey kitchen extension with a pitched roof with skylights. On the end of the extension we had fully retractable doors installed so all the new kitchen/dining room now opens up onto the garden. Overall it only cost us a few hundred quid more than a conservatory but the advantages far outweighed the cost.

Hi i want to chenge my conservatory glass roof to a solid roof i.e tiled. can any one tell me if it can be done without building regs and could anyone give me quote please.

Do you know if the footings are deep enough?

There are systems called SupaLite and Guardian that are designed to replace a polycarbonate or glass roof. The tiles are plastic and there are two - Metro and Composite, the former being cheaper by about 30%. There is insulation between the spars, another inside the conservatory, then it is covered with plasterboard and skimmed. Lights can be installed into the ceiling. It does not need planning permission (below a certain size) but does need building regulations. Eurocell sell the product under the name Equinox. Scotplas sell the Guardian roof. They are lightweight but footings need to be a minimum of 150mm.

There are a number of companies doing it now, one being SolarFrame. There is one on view in their showroom. There are videos on YouTube which show the process. It's rather expensive but turns an unusable room (for much of year) into one that can be occupied all year. Velux windows can be inserted for extra light but also at an extra cost.

It is hard to see how anyone could quote as you give no details regarding size or what you actually want. You will need to do your homework and get some quotes yourself. It may be cheaper to buy the roof and get someone to fit it. For an average size conservatory of approximately 12' x 10' you will be looking at about £3,000 to £4,000 for the roof itself including the insulation between the spars and using the cheaper tile. The internal insulation, plasterboard, skimming, lights, fitting will all be extra. A fitter who is familiar with the system would probably be best.

It may be helpful to do a search for solid conservatory roofs so that you have a good idea of what it entails and who does it. I understand that it has only been on the market for about the last 3 years. If it is only insulation you require, you may want to look at something like Roof Revive which preserves your existing roof.

Edited by ccit

You could take a look at superlite's showroom at goldthorpe, Barnsley. This seems a good product, but they quoted me £8,000 for a 4x3m conservatory roof. So I have got a builder to put me a proper tiled roof, costing more, but should look well when finished. The foundations laid for my conservatory were 450 mm and unsuitable to take the weight of a proper roof. Why don't you contact your local council, and talk to building control about using a ring beam?

I'm a bit puzzled as you say that your foundations were not sufficient for a 'proper roof' but you have employed someone to fit a proper roof. Do you mean that your builder installed the SupaLite roof? If so, please can you let us know if it wasn't SupaLite, which system you have used, and (if you don't mind) the cost all finished? Did you have a Velux roof light put in too? Also would like to know what you think of it? It would be interesting to know please.

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 12:59 ----------

As an update to this thread, it would appear that Local Authority Building Control is needed for solid conservatory roof systems. see here and here. Part of that process requires the digging of a hole to expose the footings - a minimum of 150mm of concrete is required. If it is not done then it may become a problem if the property is sold as retrospective approval would have to be applied for. The cost of this needs to be factored in and currently it is £360.

Hi, long story but does anyone know if the side of a conservatory could be moved between 6 inch-1 foot inwards or is it impossible without dismantling and rebuilding completely?