Conservatories - Recommendations & advice Megathread No quotes or ads

Hi we run a company called Tiled Conservatory Roofs, we have been replacing tired old conservatory roofs for nearly 4 years now and offer the best solution to your conservatory that is too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and sounds like the roof is going to fall in under heavy rain.

We replace your old roof with a lightweight aluminium frame, heavily insulate it, tile it, then plasterboard and plaster finish it on the inside, we also offer the option to install economy saving LED lighting to finish of you r new garden room transformation.

All of our work is fully insured and guaranteed for 10 years and uses quality products that offer a greener performing room for your home.

If you would like to know more then give us a call on 0800 158 3589 or take a look at our web site tiled conservatory roofs, Leeds. web site is as our name, cannot post our site address until we post 5 posts on here.

We have worked regularly installing our roofs in the Sheffield and Doncaster areas, so have many roofs our customers have agreed you can see!

We are based in Yorkshire, but do and have worked on a national scale.

We are a family run business that does not employ pushy sales men, we look to listen. and tailor a product to your needs.

Tony & Dave

TCR

Hi we run a company called Tiled Conservatory Roofs, we have been replacing tired old conservatory roofs for nearly 4 years now and offer the best solution to your conservatory that is too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter and sounds like the roof is going to fall in under heavy rain.

We replace your old roof with a lightweight aluminium frame, heavily insulate it, tile it, then plasterboard and plaster finish it on the inside, we also offer the option to install economy saving LED lighting to finish of you r new garden room transformation.

All of our work is fully insured and guaranteed for 10 years and uses quality products that offer a greener performing room for your home.

If you would like to know more then give us a call on 0800 158 3589 or take a look at our web site tiled conservatory roofs, Leeds. web site is as our name, cannot post our site address until we post 5 posts on here.

We have worked regularly installing our roofs in the Sheffield and Doncaster areas, so have many roofs our customers have agreed you can see!

We are based in Yorkshire, but do and have worked on a national scale.

We are a family run business that does not employ pushy sales men, we look to listen. and tailor a product to your needs.

Tony & Dave

TCR

Are you sure about what your website says..... that you don't need Building Regs for a solid roof on the conservatory? I was led to believe that once a solid roof was fitted it was then an extension rather than a conservatory. My neighbour has just had a solid roof fitted to his conservatory and had to have Building Regulations approval. Apparently the roof system (Guardian) have an agreement with one of the Local Authorities for their design.

Yes, you do need Building Regulation approval for a solid conservatory roof - see here and here.

We had to comply with the requirements of the local authority building regulations department. This included digging a hole to expose the foundations of the existing conservatory to ensure that they were of sufficient depth to support the additional weight.

@TCRoofs - Your Supalite roof is very similar to the Guardian one so perhaps you should get more information about this and possibly update your website.

Edited by ccit

Hi and thanks for your responses.

We have worked with our suppliers for years and constantly followed up on regulations requests and inquiries. As the government outlines the Under 30m2 regs and Porch info we have never had to follow up on Building regs.

At no time have we been advised to apply for regs on our work. This is supported by our suppliers.

There are other companies out there that state partnerships and regulations followed, also claiming accreditation that they do not have, accreditation that they have had their hands smacked for said claims etc!!

However all that in mind i will follow on on your advice/suggestions as for a marginal cost it is always better to be on top of these queries.

I have subcontracted for some companies and installed for ourselves and on no occasion have building regs been required or applied for and i have been installing these roofs all systems since they first came on the market??

I'll repost to this thread on my findings.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:42 ----------

Hi All,

I've just had a lengthy conversation with a gentleman at Leeds City Council Building Control Services regarding building regs.

He said that (and it was like reading from the outlines) that if it is under 30m2, has a seperate external locking door that at the moment there is no legislation to enforce building regs. Due to the lightweight nature of the roofs they are pretty much a like for like construction, this backed up by the Oct 2010 relaxation on the 90% transparency rule allows the build to proceed.

However if a customer asks for planning rules and permission you can apply with the right structural calcs etc and receive planning permission.

He did say that Guardian have applied to LABC and gained a recognised approval as a lightweight approved system and do not need to apply if asked because they have documentation to support this.

Apparently the LABC are in talks with the other companies out their to arrange a similar partnership/approval nationwide??

I'm going to call LABC now to follow up on this.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 11:07 ----------

Well would you believe it LABC said although they have some approved systems on their records that have been structurally tested it all depends on your local council planning or building regs. team for final approval if required. The doc below outlines where planning permission may be needed.

As for the Leeds area planning is not currently required?

Just found this doc on the archived area of planning regs nationally although it is headed as an outline, all a very vague area if you ask me, i did all this leg work many moons ago and still the answers are all the same!

Building Regulations for Solid Tiled Roof Conservatories

Due to a recent change in legislation, conservatory roofs can now be replaced with Solid Tiled Roofing without any building regulations application necessary so long as they meet the following criteria:

The conservatory must be built on ground level and occupy less than 30 square metres of floor space.

It must be separated from a household via external quality walls, doors or windows.

An on/off dial must be present to control heating temperatures.

Building regulations must be adhered to in any glazing or electrical installations included.

Planning Permission

You will need planning permission if one or more of the following statements applies to you:

Your conservatory is forward of the front elevation or side elevation of the house and is facing a highway.

Your conservatory and other buildings (including previous extensions) exceed 50% of the total area of land around the original house. The term ‘original house’ means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Sheds and other outbuildings must be included when calculating the above 50% limit.

Materials used in the conservatory are not similar in appearance to those of the exterior of the existing house. The width of your conservatory to the side of your house is greater than half the width of the original house.

Your conservatory to the side of your house is taller than four metres.

Your conservatory is within two metres of a boundary and the eaves is higher than three metres.

Your conservatory extends beyond the rear of the original house by more than three metres if a semi-detached house or by four metres if a detached house.

Your rear conservatory exceeds four metres in height.

Your conservatory eaves and ridge height are higher than those on the existing house.

If your conservatory is on “designated land” cladding to any part of the exterior of a conservatory with stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or tiles will need planning permission. * Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites. On “designated land”, side extensions will need planning permission.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 11:10 ----------

Anyone or any company can apply for planning permission for this undertaking, and get the approval, but if your local council say it is not needed so long as you follow the unchanged outlines then application is not required.

Thank you for updating the thread. There are two issues - planning and building regulations. Planning is often not required if it is of the correct proportions and location. The issue here is building regulations. As you say, the Guardian roof company have worked with local authorities on this and it is my understanding that it is Rotherham Borough Council that have created the template for other local authorities.

One of our quotes came from a company who use the Supalite roof and they never mentioned building regulations. Our builder was not aware of it either and I only discovered this by my own research on the Internet. Not being sure, I contacted our own local authority department and it was confirmed that building regulations was indeed required. The reason for this is that if the foundations are inadequate the structure could collapse. My understanding is that once the roof is in place the partitioning doors can be removed because of the enhanced insulation, if the owner so wishes.

In our case the cost was £360 including vat but we now have the security of knowing that it is all above board. It was more or less a paper exercise because there was no doubt whatsoever that the foundations were more than adequate. However, it is now signed off and when you are spending a not inconsiderable sum the cost is insignificant because if the owner wants to sell the property further down the line, there could be problems if approval has not been granted.

I can say that the Guardian roof is an excellent product as, I am sure is the Supalite roof which your company uses. Our conservatory is 100% better than it was and we are both delighted with it.

It seems best to err on the side of caution and to contact the relevant local authority in each case where these roofs are being installed.

Edited by ccit

To me it beggars belief that people want to replace a transparent roof with a tiled roof what was the point of having a transparent roof in the first place if its a problem of heat retention in winter invest in a good glass roof simple.

We had a very good quality double glazed glass roof but it was unsuitable for all the usual reasons. When we had it fitted many years ago, the down side of this was not known to us. Maybe we should have done more research but we all make mistakes, and this was ours. We looked at various ways of making the space usable and comfortable without going down this route but for us, none were satisfactory until we found out about the solid roof.

Although you cannot understand it, as a builder you must be aware that each of us is an individual with different needs and wants. I am sure that some find a transparent roof of whatever material is absolutely right for them. However, others do not feel this way and the solid roof gives an option that wasn't there just a very few years ago. These roofs can incorporate Velux windows and we had one fitted in ours. For us, this was the way to go and it is a huge improvement on what we had.

Edited by ccit

Content removed,

For quotes please place an ad in the jobs section

Thanks

Edited by Plain Talker

Hi looking for someone who can supply and fit a conservatory for my new house.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Sid