Conservatories - Recommendations & advice Megathread No quotes or ads

It would be helpful to describe the exact structure of your conservatory, including the type of roof.

brick wall, 4 upvc window units (non-opening) fitted with glass, upvc roof structure with polycarbonate sheets. It's probably about 10 foot long

---------- Post added 16-04-2014 at 19:32 ----------

Thanks ccit. What type of tradesman could give a quote for the work, we talked to one place who fit conservatories but it's not the type of work they would do.

If it was moving it outwards it would be possible but not inward.

You can move it inwards daisy2. We have just had this done but by a much larger margin so yes, it is possible. We had the window frame removed, the wall taken down and another one built further in. The window frame was then replaced. You may have problem with the size of the roof - not sure if polycarbonate can be cut down.

It would cost quite a bit in materials and the builder's time. Only you know if all this is of value to you as it is such a very small reduction. Ours was worth it because, having a solid roof we now have an extension rather than just a conservatory bolted on. What are you trying to achieve by doing the work?

Edited by ccit

Thanks for the advice - it was potentially a boundary problem but fingers crossed it's been resolved. We were just trying to hedge our bets by posting here as I know many people talk sense and rather than a complete new build the first question was 'can it be done'.

Didnt want to say it but as said if it was a much larger margin it would have been financially viable but such a minute ammout it would be cheaper to start again ..but let the professsional diy ers have their say first. Bricklayers we build the foundations of life.

I'm glad that you have sorted this issue out. It would have been such a lot of work and expense to reduce it by such a small amount and as the previous poster said, it might have been cheaper and more expedient to start again.

BTW Mac - not sure what you meant by your little quip but I am not a 'professional DIY-er' (far from it). Sorry to have offended you but I was jst trying to help the OP by relating our experience, which was somewhat akin to her problem.

Edited by ccit

Bricklayers we build the foundations of life.

I don't think that's true

My apologies, i know you were just offering advice based on your experience but your experience was different because you had it moved in by a larger amount so your experience was not really relevant to theirs so in fact could just cause confusion. The best advice would have been to say get a builder out to advice you. But again i will say sorry if i caused offence.

Well, knowing the disruption, amount of work and expense that this can cause, if push comes to shove and the boundary has to be moved, it may be best to think very carefully before proceeding. Unless the family are very attached to their conservatory, for a little more than this particular work, maybe a proper extension could be built. However, as you say it would be best to speak to one or two good builders.

Hi, looking to get some quotes for a new conservatory, i've taken note of the companies already mentioned on this thread & will contact them...

can anyone recommend any more they've used?

thank you.

I am wanting a company in or around Sheffield to install a frameless glass room.

Does anyone know a company who does this please.