Conservatories - Recommendations & advice Megathread No quotes or ads

My rad is connected to my combi boiler never heard about building reg problems

Hiya, just copied this from the 'planning portal' site re: building regs

"They are built at ground level and are less than 30 square metres in floor area.

The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality walls, doors or windows.

There should be an independent heating system with separate temperature and on/off controls.

Glazing and any fixed electrical installations comply with the applicable building regulations requirements (see below)."

Link to site if you want a nosey

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/

Hi we added onto a system not long ago which was a new built section onto a house and we added a zone valve which had its own room thermostat to have it isolated from the rest of the system.

You could have an electric panel heater, some of which ive used and installed regular before and they are very good and dont gulp the electric.

Stay away from the dimplex and nobo heaters way over priced and not that good.

If you need any help just ask anytime if i can help i will cheers jon at JB Heating Services.

Thats great, cheers v much. Ill have a look online for consumption data and see if electric panel heater would be suitable :-)

What about an oil filled radiator?

You can zone off the conservatory from your main boiler and add an independent thermostat for heating control.

Your best bet is to go for underfloor heating and there is a product manufactured by Polypipe called Overlay which is fitted over the existing floor and connects up to your existing heating system via a manifold and heat pump. You can find out more at http://www.freeyourwalls.com and they have an installer network so you can search for an approved local installer. They all offer free quotes and advice.

One thing I will say id that with a polycarbonate roof you will find your conservatory hot in summer and cold in winter. You may want to consider upgrading it to a glass roof at some point in the future and this will improve your conservatories thermal insulation, making it more comfortable throughout the year.

For this I would recommend BioClean Aqua as the glass and EcoVitro or Refresh Conservatory Roof Glass Ltd for installation.

I hope this helps.

sorry for butting in to this thread but can i ask you rudijosef,if you know anyone who actually fits conservatory glass,like the makes youve mentioned because no-one ive contacted seems to be interested in a job which just replaced just the glass.our roof is only part glass,the rest is a normal roof,but as soon as i mention this ,apart from one quote,which was nearly 3 grandno-one else calls back,even thought of having frame replaced also.even though nothing wrong with one weve got just to see if we had more success,but apparrantleytheir only interested if you want full roof.

Gooood mornin all, hope were all well :-)

Iv just had a 3x5m conservatory fitted, standard rectangular, one side is solid brick and breeze block fibre insulated wall, one side backs on to the house that is double brick and cavity insulated, one side is full windowed (x4) with double glazed A rated K glass, and the final side is two windows same spec as aforementioned and two french A rated k glass doors.

The floor is wooden joist covered with like a chip/wood boarding.

The roof is polycarbonate.

It's all up and has been plastered (drying out as I type) but we have made no provision for heating as it would have bumped the cost up too much to have the conservatory firm do it.

I have no idea about heating, did consider underfloor, also considered rads but apparently you have to have it "separated from your main heating system" to comply with build regs.

Can someone please tell me/advise me what is the best way to heat a conservatory for use all year round and that won't cost the earth to run (not so bothered about set up cost if it works out economical in the long term), my own inexperienced opinion tells me that electric heating would cost too much (e.g. Wall heater) but worried about falling foul of build regs if I have a rad connected to existing combi boiler central heating system.

And if anyone wants to quote me :-) that would be awesome

Cheers mi dears

Fe x

Hi.

An alternative for you to consider is an air to air heat pump. These also double up as an air conditioning unit for summer months, as well as providing heat during winter. We have one on display in our renewables showroom in Doncaster town centre. Please feel free to call in for a look and for free advice on what your options are.

Steven peacock

Please contact me if you require a free quote and advice, always better to look at the job before commenting. Call Brian 07763570195

Have you considered under floor heating?

Edited by MysticalGand

We had a small wall mounted air con unit fitted and it works perfectly, the conservatory is freezing first thing in the morning and this warms it up in minutes, its also good for cooling in down in the summer (conservatories are like greenhouses).

We had a small wall mounted air con unit fitted and it works perfectly, the conservatory is freezing first thing in the morning and this warms it up in minutes, its also good for cooling in down in the summer (conservatories are like greenhouses).

I second this. we had one in our old house and to be able to sit in the conservatory at an ambient temp all year round was worth the 400 quid or so.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

My rad is connected to my combi boiler never heard about building reg problems

Mine is as well Just call a plumber in or central heating heating firm in. Make sure you put a decent size in. :hihi: mine is off an ordinary systymn

Edited by spider1

We have a 6x5m conservatory, pretty much identical setup as you OP (north is full-height brick wall, east is house wall, west is brick lower and glass upper, south is full-length french windows) and we use electric underfloor heating under laminate (per MysticalGand's post above, but not the linked supplier...can't remember who, sorry). Had it put in 2 years ago, if memory serves me right, for a few hundreds at most.

Combined with a programmable thermostat, the conservatory is useable (effectively it's our lounge) throughout the year at a constant temp (22 to 24), and we're summer creatures so the summer heat (ho-hum) does not bother us in the least (especially with french windows opened if and when needed - luuuvely indeed).

Works out way, way cheaper than the 2 wall-mounted units that were in there when we bought (an electric 'false fire' heater and a thru-wall aircon unit).