Conservatories - Recommendations & advice Megathread No quotes or ads

Conservatories look very nice but are not all that practical - often too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Furnishings tend to fade due to the sunlight. A garden room with a proper roof on might be a tad more expensive but much more practical and usable.

It all depends on what you want to pay for your concervatory. You can have roof blinds for summer and opening roof windows that can be temperature controlled, you can install central heating ( council might want to know because it might become a room ), it all depends on what you want.

We have a south east facing conservatory and, when the sun is out we live there most of the day and if it gets to hot we just move out onto the patio outside. Maybe we are fortunate but it all depends on what you want.

Hi Give bluestone upvc a call. We are a small family run business that strives on giving 100% from the first impression to the final sweep up. Give us a call on 01142874024 / 07720916825 thanks mark

Conservatories look very nice but are not all that practical - often too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Furnishings tend to fade due to the sunlight. A garden room with a proper roof on might be a tad more expensive but much more practical and usable.

Not if you have air con, and underfloor heating :)

Not if you have air con, and underfloor heating :)

We have air con and ours is fine to use all year round, its great to sit in the light cool space on a hot summers day (when we get one!!!).

Not if you have air con, and underfloor heating

And not if you have the money for the energy bills! I have air conditioning throughout my property and wouldn't be without it but I don't have it in the conservatory - it would be far too expensive to use in there, particularly as it is a large structure. Added to this is the cost of having air conditioning put in - it is very expensive to have it done properly. It also needs to be serviced at least yearly so that is an additional cost to factor in. We also have two good size double radiators but in winter as soon as the heating goes off it gets cold, despite the fact that it is double glazed, including the glass roof. Right now the morning sun is on it and you could not sit in there comfortably, read a book or whatever - it is too hot and bright. If ever I am in the position to be able to afford to have a pitched roof put on I will do it.

By coincidence I was speaking with someone last week who attended a wedding, the reception being held in a conservatory. He was complaining that the sun came out and it became unbearable for the guests.

As has been said, it is up to the individual but my view is that a proper roof makes the space much more practical and cheaper to use as it would be properly insulated.

Edited by ccit

Well I am happy to report that my new conservatory is amazing, nice and warm on the cold days and cool on the hot ones.

Had it done by Global & they were brilliant !!!

Well I am happy to report that my new conservatory is amazing, nice and warm on the cold days and cool on the hot ones.

Had it done by Global & they were brilliant !!!

Had mine done by Global 10 years ago cool in summer but had one of their special carbon roofs put on so no need for blinds. Also top openers on every window. In winter mine is warm had a radiator put in which combines with central heating. 10years guarantee so no problems Very good. You can come have a look if you want S 13.

Gooood mornin all, hope were all well :-)

Iv just had a 3x5m conservatory fitted, standard rectangular, one side is solid brick and breeze block fibre insulated wall, one side backs on to the house that is double brick and cavity insulated, one side is full windowed (x4) with double glazed A rated K glass, and the final side is two windows same spec as aforementioned and two french A rated k glass doors.

The floor is wooden joist covered with like a chip/wood boarding.

The roof is polycarbonate.

It's all up and has been plastered (drying out as I type) but we have made no provision for heating as it would have bumped the cost up too much to have the conservatory firm do it.

I have no idea about heating, did consider underfloor, also considered rads but apparently you have to have it "separated from your main heating system" to comply with build regs.

Can someone please tell me/advise me what is the best way to heat a conservatory for use all year round and that won't cost the earth to run (not so bothered about set up cost if it works out economical in the long term), my own inexperienced opinion tells me that electric heating would cost too much (e.g. Wall heater) but worried about falling foul of build regs if I have a rad connected to existing combi boiler central heating system.

And if anyone wants to quote me :-) that would be awesome

Cheers mi dears

Fe x

My rad is connected to my combi boiler never heard about building reg problems

Gooood mornin all, hope were all well :-)

Iv just had a 3x5m conservatory fitted, standard rectangular, one side is solid brick and breeze block fibre insulated wall, one side backs on to the house that is double brick and cavity insulated, one side is full windowed (x4) with double glazed A rated K glass, and the final side is two windows same spec as aforementioned and two french A rated k glass doors.

The floor is wooden joist covered with like a chip/wood boarding.

The roof is polycarbonate.

It's all up and has been plastered (drying out as I type) but we have made no provision for heating as it would have bumped the cost up too much to have the conservatory firm do it.

I have no idea about heating, did consider underfloor, also considered rads but apparently you have to have it "separated from your main heating system" to comply with build regs.

Can someone please tell me/advise me what is the best way to heat a conservatory for use all year round and that won't cost the earth to run (not so bothered about set up cost if it works out economical in the long term), my own inexperienced opinion tells me that electric heating would cost too much (e.g. Wall heater) but worried about falling foul of build regs if I have a rad connected to existing combi boiler central heating system.

And if anyone wants to quote me :-) that would be awesome

Cheers mi dears

Fe x

Hi we added onto a system not long ago which was a new built section onto a house and we added a zone valve which had its own room thermostat to have it isolated from the rest of the system.

You could have an electric panel heater, some of which ive used and installed regular before and they are very good and dont gulp the electric.

Stay away from the dimplex and nobo heaters way over priced and not that good.

If you need any help just ask anytime if i can help i will cheers jon at JB Heating Services.