Netherthorpe - what do you think of the area ?

The area is generally ok, it's those pesky kids, they really can be a set of t***s. The area is a bit scruffy and run down but mostly harmless. Although the 'Armed Response' sticker in the window might have helped...

Originally posted by Bartfarst

When the poem was written with the line:

'if you're going to drop the bomb, drop it on Slough'

the author had obviously never been to Netherthorpe (or the Manor, Grimesthorpe, Arbourthorne, Attercliffe, Darnall, Low Edges, Jordanthorpe, Batemoor, Firth Park . . . . . . . . . )

and you've never been to slough :)

Am I right in thinking Netherthorpe's split either side of Netherthorpe Road? That can't be doing the area's reputation much good as the two sides couldn't be more different.

I've lived near the school for a few years, sharing a flat with my girlfriend at first then buying it from her landlord, I liked the area so much. Everyone who's visited is really surprised at how pleasant the area is. I'm not sure why anyone thinks it looks scruffy - this bit at least looks far tidier than lots of estates in Sheffield. I'd be hard pushed to point out any unoccupied properties and everywhere looks generally well cared for.

I don't think crime is a problem but then again I'm only aware of it when it has directly affected me. My lock up (isn't close to the flat) has been broken into before, though as it's kind of hidden from view it is vulnerable - I'd imagine it would be similarly vulnerable anywhere in the city. Actually, if anyone wants a single bed and some old kitchen units I might get my arse in gear, clear the place out and give up the contract. Needless to say, nothing inside was of any interest to the thieves. I've never felt threatened walking about and I certainly haven't seen prostitutes hanging round like they do on the other side of the main road.

well said chris agree with you 100%

:thumbsup:

Bad area in my opinion. In the Star tonight there's a story about a woman's body found in a flat there which has been there for 3 weeks. Also, it's quite a high crime zone and car insurance there will cost an absolute bomb. A lot of druggies hang around there, along with pimps and their prostitutes.

Originally posted by t020

Bad area in my opinion. In the Star tonight there's a story about a woman's body found in a flat there which has been there for a year. Also, it's quite a high crime zone and car insurance there will cost an absolute bomb. A lot of druggies hang around there, along with pimps and their prostitutes.

she was there for two weeks not one year :loopy:

Originally posted by andy321

she was there for two weeks not one year :loopy:

3 weeks actually - I edited my post immediately as I'd misread the story as saying one year, but thanks for the "loopy" smilie anyway. :loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

Bad area in my opinion. In the Star tonight there's a story about a woman's body found in a flat there which has been there for 3 weeks. Also, it's quite a high crime zone and car insurance there will cost an absolute bomb. A lot of druggies hang around there, along with pimps and their prostitutes.

i agree with you t020,the area looks verynice during the day but very dodgy at night and yes your right it was three weeks,very sad:confused:

Ugh, banging on about crime rates again are we?! :loopy::rant:

IMO Netherthorpe has no higher or lower a crime rate than any other area, even *cough* Ecclesall itself *cough*... And don't give me no bourjois about there's no crime in Eccy cos I don't believe that for 1 second.

Can you post further details about the the woman dead in the flat for 3 weeks.

It sounds like the person in the flat next door to me, I'd noticed a bad smell (but didn't know what it was) then came home one day to see men in white suits and gas masks taking a body away.

Originally posted by taxman

Can you post further details about the the woman dead in the flat for 3 weeks.

It sounds like the person in the flat next door to me, I'd noticed a bad smell (but didn't know what it was) then came home one day to see men in white suits and gas masks taking a body away.

the flat was on hammond st she was called kerryn scott and she was 58.

Originally posted by roughy101

the flat was on hammond st she was called kerryn scott and she was 58.

Not mine then!!