Recycoal plans to dig up Hesley Wood

Thank God for the unemployed and the homeless.

They suffer to protect our green and pleasant land, they go without work, without housing so that a few can have a nice few and let their dogs defecate in the woods.

Whenever there is talk of development and progress, there is always the NIMBYs to oppose it.

Come on NIMBYs sing along with Chem.

"Praise be upon the homeless, for they go without housing so I can let my dog defecate on the field"

"Praise unto the unemployed for they go without work and are forced into poverty so that I do not have to cope with a small amount of noise from lorries and the smell of food production or summat like that"

You don't carve up the local parks and woodlands just for a few jobs,

Lifes about much more than that,

At the meeting the other year it was said that the actual slag heaps could not be touched due to number of trees on them,

There's loads of wildlife on the site,but there was on the other part (now the half empty business park) and the ponds all got filled in,

The woman who was in charge of the land survey said it was amazing as to the amount of wildlife on the site,so that argument against the work probably wouldn't hold,

But why does it take so long after the work finishes ?

They could just walk away and leave it,foot paths find themselves,

I'll be at the meeting,I'm half and half as I don't want the heaps flattening as the views from up there are well worth the climb,

We should have more public green spaces not less,

JJ..

You don't carve up the local parks and woodlands just for a few jobs,

Lifes about much more than that,

At the meeting the other year it was said that the actual slag heaps could not be touched due to number of trees on them,

There's loads of wildlife on the site,but there was on the other part (now the half empty business park) and the ponds all got filled in,

The woman who was in charge of the land survey said it was amazing as to the amount of wildlife on the site,so that argument against the work probably wouldn't hold,

But why does it take so long after the work finishes ?

They could just walk away and leave it,foot paths find themselves,

I'll be at the meeting,I'm half and half as I don't want the heaps flattening as the views from up there are well worth the climb,

We should have more public green spaces not less,

JJ..

it takes a while to remeidate after the coal is extracted

Do you realise the amount of leeching that coal heaps do?

If you took a measurement from the water run of you would be surprised at the readings. Did you see the Colliery tip @ Grimethorpe?

Edited by Eckolad

After the rainfall we have had during the last few years is this going to be a flood risk to Chapeltown and the surrounding area?

From RecyCoal webpage given above

"Flood Risk and Drainage

Off-site discharge will be directed to the Blackburn Brook via the existing partially culverted Ordinary

Watercourse to the south-west of the site.

Blackburn Brook."

From Wikipedia(View original Wikipedia Article)Last modified on 27 December 2009 at 21:27

The Blackburn Brook flowing under Grange Lane in Ecclesfield.

The Blackburn Brook is a stream in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England which joins the River Don near the Meadowhall shopping centre. Between Blackburn village and Grange Lane the brook originally formed the boundary between Sheffield and Rotherham. With the coming of the South Yorkshire Railway in the 1850s the course of the brook was straightened to run parallel with the trackbed through the valley, however the boundary continued to follow the original course.

There was a power station that once stood near the confluence of the Blackburn and the Don called Blackburn Meadows Power Station. The power station is no longer in use but both cooling towers could be seen next to the Tinsley Viaduct until 24 August 2008, when they were demolished, scuppering alternative plans to use them as a public art installation.

The stream flows through the Blackburn Valley along the M1 and Ecclesfield Road.

Very high rainfall in the summer of 2007 caused Blackburn Brook to burst its banks at the entrance to ChapeltownPark, and where the stream flows under the A629 Cowley Lane. Many properties on Cowley Lane and Falding Street were flooded and a local schoolboy had to be rescued from fast flowing waters after falling into the stream.[1]

I was for the scheme until I looked into the evidence - the loss of wildlife and habitat, the noise pollution - over 50 decibels (not a small amount 7a.m. - 7p.m. 5 days and then Saturday mornings. Oh goody we will get Saturday afternoon and Sunday to recover, but the washing plant runs 24/7), the dust pollution and possible risk of flooding. Who knows what else!

I e-mailed our local mp Angela Smith yesterday and asked as to why local people are not being contacted and kept informed about meetings such as the one in May and also the one on the 19th July.

Take into account that i contacted recycoal and sheffield city council at the beginning of the week and asked the same questions. I then miraculousley had a letter pushed through my letterbox yesterday morning at 8am.

I still haven't had my question answered. Here's the response i got from Angela Smith MP' s office:-

While I work for Angela I am also one of the local councillors for the area.

Your local Councillors were also concerned that the consultation with locals in your area was not satisfactory (something I raised with the company and Planners) and that there where a number of people who might not be aware of this planning application that is why we asked the assembly to arrange another public meeting with residents on that estate.

As Councillors we have delivered a letter to every house on the estate asking for views. We would like people to attend the meeting on 19th July.

While it would be useful to have Reponses back for the meeting if they are received too late or if people can’t attend we will make sure everybody gets a response to their questions. The reason we wanted to organise a meeting as soon as possible is that we were aware that people where getting concerned and rumours where circulating. We also want to make sure everyone is aware of the plans before it goes to a planning board in the Autumn. To leave it any longer would have started impacting the holiday period and to have a meeting after the summer would we believe been too late. At the meeting should be representatives of the owner and developer of the site and planning officers from SCC. Your 3 local councillors will also be present.

The concerns you have raised are valid and have already been raised with both planners and the applicants (owners) of the site by myself and other local councillors.

I have to stress this is a planning application and will go through the usual planning process with the final decision being made by a planning board. Sheffield City council are not the owners of the land and are not promoting the proposals. However, they are the planning authority with a duty to assess the planning application.

Plans for this land have been around for a number of years (first mooted, I believe in 2009), however, these latest plans did not surface until late April, I believe. I am also informed that in the long term something has to be done with the land. I am sure you are aware the slag heap was used for many years both for the old colliery and then the coking plant and a large amount of coal and slag has been left there and I am told at some point it will have to be removed.

However, I am concerned that any proposals should not be to the detriment of residents in the area. The actual planning application can be found here http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/caseDetails.do?keyVal=M6DTU5NYFY000&caseType=Application, please take a look at the proposals. I would encourage both you and anyone else who may have concerns to lodge them with the planning department of Sheffield Council the reference is 12/01946/FUL. You can either email them (planningdc.north@sheffield.gov.uk), quoting the application reference or write to Development Services, Howden House, 1 Union Street, Sheffield S1 2SH, again quoting the reference.

At the present time I do not know the time scale for the application to go to a board, and as yet I don’t believe comments are being accepted as it is still being assessed by planning officer. I believe you should also be a statutory consultee on this application. Also I am not aware, as yet what the officers recommendation will be to members for the application.

My understanding of the proposal is that the company will remove the remaining coal in the land over a I believe a 4 year period starting at one side of the site and moving across. The washing plant, again part of the application will situated by the motorway. The land will kept wet to keep dust down and no traffic will be allowed to use Chapeltown. This is something I personally are concerned about. I also believe residents of Cowley need to be fully involved in the process if permission is granted. Noise will also have to kept to a minimum and monitored and work will only be allowed during the normal working hours.

As the coal is removed the land will be re-modelled and a country park created with new tree planting and paths installed. The land will then be opened up to the public(at the moment it is private property with no official access)

I look forward to meeting you on the 19th if you can make it, if not please do register your concerns.

Best Wishes

Steven Wilson_____________

Senior Parliamentary Assistant to Angela Smith MP

Member of Parliament for Penistone & Stocksbridge

t: 0207 219 3564 (Westminster)

t: 0114 283 1855(Constituency office)

m: 0790 452 1970

e: wilsonst@parliament.uk

w: angelasmith-mp.org.uk

Constituency MP of the year 2011/12

I was for the scheme until I looked into the evidence - the loss of wildlife and habitat, the noise pollution - over 50 decibels !

50 Decibels is like a conversation at home..it's not loud..

50 Decibels is like a conversation at home..it's not loud..

More like 150 decibels in our house.:(

If you look at the noise assessment made by recycoal most of it is over the 50 decibels and some of the noise which is quite close to the houses is over 85 decibels. 8 hours exposure at this level can cause hearing loss so what will 64 hours a week for months do? I don't know I am not a doctor but the risks need to be considered.

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/files/759D3C633B18B6F5D547A9C96F962259/pdf/12_01946_FUL-NOISE_ASSESSMENT_-_FIGURE_11.4-605404.pdf

The decibel (abbreviated dB) is the unit used to measure the intensity of a sound. The decibel scale is a little odd because the human ear is incredibly sensitive. Your ears can hear everything from your fingertip brushing lightly over your skin to a loud jet engine. In terms of power, the sound of the jet engine is about 1,000,000,000,000 times more powerful than the smallest audible sound. That's a big difference!

On the decibel scale, the smallest audible sound (near total silence) is 0 dB. A sound 10 times more powerful is 10 dB. A sound 100 times more powerful than near total silence is 20 dB. A sound 1,000 times more powerful than near total silence is 30 dB. Here are some common sounds and their decibel ratings:

• Near total silence - 0 dB

• A whisper - 15 dB

• Normal conversation - 60 dB

• A lawnmower - 90 dB

• A car horn - 110 dB

• A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB

• A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB

You know from your own experience that distance affects the intensity of sound -- if you are far away, the power is greatly diminished. All of the ratings above are taken while standing near the sound.

Any sound above 85 dB can cause hearing loss, and the loss is related both to the power of the sound as well as the length of exposure. You know that you are listening to an 85-dB sound if you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else. Eight hours of 90-dB sound can cause damage to your ears; any exposure to 140-dB sound causes immediate damage (and causes actual pain).

I have now setup an epetition on the Sheffield City Council website to ask the council to reject the planning application, if you want the council to take the issue seriously then please sign the petition. Below is the link to it:

https://sheffield.moderngov.co.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=83&RPID=177735&HPID=177735

I have now setup an epetition on the Sheffield City Council website to ask the council to reject the planning application, if you want the council to take the issue seriously then please sign the petition. Below is the link to it:

https://sheffield.moderngov.co.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=83&RPID=177735&HPID=177735

May be worth a mension at tomorrows meeting........................

Typical nimby.

Bet you didnt complain when the mines were open? .

It amazes me that people winge when things are done to clean up the old pits and create some work. yet they are the very ones affected by the pit closures