People scrounging (or stealing) food from supermarket bins

That`s as maybe but i didn`t make the law and i don`t break it either.

I would if there were no victims and I thought it was a good thing to do. Which this is.

Let's see...

Stealing from a bin.......... or stealing from the person?

The way things are going, you'd better hope there are more bins for people to steal from, because you're next.

I would if there were no victims and I thought it was a good thing to do. Which this is.

Agreed some "laws" are just daft. If its in the bin and people can get to it without causing any damage then fair play to them.

i don't know whether i feel sorry for them or discusted by what i have seen, now i think probably lowlifes

It either that or break into people houses and sell stolen goods to pay for food.

Lowlifes will take the second option.

It either that or break into people houses and sell stolen goods to pay for food.

Lowlifes will take the second option.

Totally agree, but very sad that the supermarkets have to bin it rather than give it away.

The annoying thing is some of the supermarkets that do give food away...they give the posh fancy stuff away but cheap basics, they often don't. On the basis that a street sleeper might afford bread but not asparagus, so if they give asparagus away = no loss, but if they give bread away they might lose a sale of a cheap mothers pride sliced loaf.

No it's not, it's still theft.

Whats the problem with it ?

Its the same as skip rats taking stuff that people have thrown away . See it as re-cycling. :)

THe stuff that supermarkets throw away is disgusting, so all power to people who use the resources that otherwise would be wasted.

Id still rather eat stuff from supermarket bins than the pig swill on sale at MacDonalds and Greggs.

Whats the problem with it ?

Its the same as skip rats taking stuff that people have thrown away . See it as re-cycling. :)

Were the Wombles criminals?

Were the Wombles criminals?

No ,they were just annoying.

Id still rather eat stuff from supermarket bins than the pig swill on sale at MacDonalds and Greggs.

Now that I can agree with.

I've eaten some meals made from supermarket bin food, and they've been decent, wholesome, healthy and tasty. Given the criminal amount of hermetically-sealed packaging used in supermarket fayre, just because it's been in a bin means nothing.

Same with skip-ratting, I once staggered home from a night out, saw an exercise bike in a skip. Took it home, woke up with a hangover and was surprised to see an exercise bike in my living room. Gave it a good clean, serviced moving parts fitted a new cable on the tension lever, banged it in the free ads for £30, someone got a good second hand machine (decent quality one) and I got another night out (this was about 15 years ago when £30 could get you a good night out, instead of 2 pints and a taxi). And the landfill got an exercise bike's worth less waste.

The guilt doesn't give me any problems sleeping at night.

Though it might be illegal for freegans to take stuff from the bins, it seems criminal to go to lengths to stop them.

Good luck to em, I say.

Finally, a bit of sense on this thread.

If someone were going through bins with the intention of data theft, that would be an issue, but taking stuff that is going to be destroyed anyway hardly ranks up there with Son of Sam or the Unabomber.

It may be illegal but then again, women voting used to be illegal. And, conversely, the excecution of 6 million Jews was perfectly legal within the laws of the Nazi state.

Me having to pay more UK tax than Vodafone is perfectly legal.

Legality and morality are not always the same thing.