People scrounging (or stealing) food from supermarket bins

Why cant all supermarkets do what marks and spencers did (maybe still do). Instead of throwing it away they donated it to a local hostel.

The problem why food isn't given away is because of being sued. I know Sainsbury's send waste food for animal feed. I used to work at the moor one before the bins were secured down and it was like a party time at nights with people going in the bins. Used to guve them a good shower of water after all they were all on private land and should pay for food. We all do!

Supermarkets don't send their waste food for animal feed and never have.

why tell lies?

One simple way to stop all this supermarket waste of perfectly eatable food would be for the goverment to implement an extortionate amount of money for them to be able to dump the food into landfill. Maybe that would give them a better incentive to distribute the food out free, rather than dump it.

They have, years ago.....its called landfill tax! Its currently £72/t which is much more than the basic cost of disposal.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/landfill-tax.htm

Read the above link, it`s illegal :roll:

What a stupid society we live in. Illegal to eat food that's going to be thrown away needlessly. :loopy:

The problem why food isn't given away is because of being sued. I know Sainsbury's send waste food for animal feed. I used to work at the moor one before the bins were secured down and it was like a party time at nights with people going in the bins. Used to guve them a good shower of water after all they were all on private land and should pay for food. We all do!

Spiteful and Vindictive.

When I was working for a very well known supermarket we had a memo from the chief exec telling us that we had to pour bleach over all the food "waste" at the end of the day before it went into the bins. Just to stop people taking it.

Utter madness

Edited by The General

i saw three adults scrounging from the co-op rubbish bin taking out lots of stuff,how desperate must they be to do it.they run off with the bags as if they were stealing, is it?
for gods sake were they nicking from inside the co op you should have phoned the police saddo

---------- Post added 29-11-2013 at 23:59 ----------

Its criminal that food gets thrown away when its still edible and people starving in the third world. Obviously couldnt send perishable food there but im sure loads of tinned and packet food is just wasted. I personally wouldnt want to rumage through bins but dont blame people if stuff thrown away whats point of it just rotting! There must be so much waste in this country from shops restaurants etc.
the 3rd world ????? people are hungry in THIS COUNTRY FOR HEAVENS SAKE WAKE UP!!!!!!!

---------- Post added 30-11-2013 at 00:02 ----------

i don't know whether i feel sorry for them or discusted by what i have seen, now i think probably lowlifes
learn to spell, as well as have empathy for these people or is that too hard for such as you ??/

There is an ever growing number of homeless people in the UK. OK some of it bring it on themselves and some don't But everyone has to eat. If supermarkets can't , given their massive profits, give food to foodbanks, salvation army etc at the end of the day free of charge (cos they're going to chuck it anyway) there is something sadly wrong with society.

And in my view they should give it out - not chuck it in a bin where someone has to forage for it. It's no use to them or it wouldn;t be in the bin to start with - So why not give it to someone who is hungry and can't buy food. Everyone has a basic right to live surely!

There is an ever growing number of homeless people in the UK. OK some of it bring it on themselves and some don't But everyone has to eat. If supermarkets can't , given their massive profits, give food to foodbanks, salvation army etc at the end of the day free of charge (cos they're going to chuck it anyway) there is something sadly wrong with society.

And in my view they should give it out - not chuck it in a bin where someone has to forage for it. It's no use to them or it wouldn;t be in the bin to start with - So why not give it to someone who is hungry and can't buy food. Everyone has a basic right to live surely!

Sadly many minds have been warped by political propaganda, to deflect the blame for lack of food elsewhere. Unfortunately some of the opinions in this thread back that up. :(

Lowlifes? Maybe some are what some people would classify as such. Disgusting? Well I think I'd find it disgusting to get something to eat out of a bin just because those who are making serious cash and binning it anyway think I'm not even worth a second thought.

How much food do we chuck out in a week because it's past the magic sell by date?

It's a sad indictment on society when those of us who can afford to buy our own food even if we are scraping by look down on those who can't. Sorry but we are supposed to be a civilised country. To me that doesn't mean pouring bleach on perfectly edible food when someone who is really in need just wants something to eat in order to survive. Hard enough out on the streets with no comfort or hope. A wee bit of food that's being binned anyway can make all the difference between life or death by starvation!

The old adage 'Children are starving in Africa ' - sorry but people are also starving here in what is meant to be a developed nation. It's shameful!

Edited by annbaker

Whoever started this conversation and called it "people scrounging (or stealing) from a bin".

First of al when someone disposes food in a bin they make it clear they don't want it any longer and that food has no use for them whatsoever.

Any person putting bleach over or guarding this food is a clear signal it still has some sort of value or meaning and a claim of ownership of the food that is to be thrown away.

Another pure example of the financial hypocrisy that greed and money creates that even garbage has some sort of value to the person throwing it away.