People scrounging (or stealing) food from supermarket bins

i saw three adults scrounging from the co-op rubbish bin taking out lots of stuff,how desperate must they be to do it.they run off with the bags as if they were stealing, is it?

A lot of useable food gets thrown away because supermarkets cannot sell it after the use by date.

I once saw someone taking stuff from the bins behind Tesco on Herries Road, some adults were sat in the car while their (oldish) child crawled under the gate to get some bread and milk. If things are that bad, wouldn't you get rid of the car first though?

Sainsbury`s on the Moor have their bins locked and kept in big metal cages so people can`t steal out of them. I know someone that works there not because i`ve tried to thieve out of the bins.

i saw a tv show i think it was wife swap but im not sure and these people did it, and they were saying it was a way of life to them as they didnt see the point in wasting money on buying the food in daylight hours because when the store is shut or close to shutting it gets thrown out and then is free. legal or illegal i kind of see why some people do it, whats point in paying for something when its sat round the corner for free lol.

i saw a tv show i think it was wife swap but im not sure and these people did it, and they were saying it was a way of life to them as they didnt see the point in wasting money on buying the food in daylight hours because when the store is shut or close to shutting it gets thrown out and then is free. legal or illegal i kind of see why some people do it, whats point in paying for something when its sat round the corner for free lol.

Read the above link, it`s illegal :roll:

A lot of useable food gets thrown away because supermarkets cannot sell it after the use by date.

I once saw someone taking stuff from the bins behind Tesco on Herries Road, some adults were sat in the car while their (oldish) child crawled under the gate to get some bread and milk. If things are that bad, wouldn't you get rid of the car first though?

Its criminal that food gets thrown away when its still edible and people starving in the third world. Obviously couldnt send perishable food there but im sure loads of tinned and packet food is just wasted. I personally wouldnt want to rumage through bins but dont blame people if stuff thrown away whats point of it just rotting! There must be so much waste in this country from shops restaurants etc.

Most of the fresh food waste at Costco is given to the salvation army...they come and collect everyday; its not a company policy thing, it was an arrangement made by the previous manager ages ago, and they still do it.

For many Freegans its part of their anti-consumerist lifestyle. Though I have heard its easy to get fat as a Freegan as much discarded food is out of date ready meals. I guess you just have to pick carefully.

i don't know whether i feel sorry for them or discusted by what i have seen, now i think probably lowlifes

i don't know whether i feel sorry for them or discusted by what i have seen, now i think probably lowlifes

They probably think the same of you.

Read the above link, it`s illegal :roll:

Where did he try to claim that it wasn't?