Injured, stray ginger Tom.. Help :(

We have 2 cats of our own who rarely stray off the garden, they're a bit wimpy! But we do have a few that have adopted us and tend to come most days. There's one ginger Tom that's been coming a while, 4 times a week at most, he's really shy and won't let us near him and for some reason this is one cat ours won't let near the door. They don't attack, just guard the threshold! He's always been a bit, fwoabw scabby. But the past week he really has got worse, I've secretly watched him from the window today and noticed 2 big open wounds on his neck, his eye looks like its infected and is making it appear slanty looking and he's getting really thin! I could cry just watching him! Is there anywhere/anyone that can help? I'd help him and have him myself but I have 2 already, and I'm heavily pregnant so don't really want to be touching him, not that he'd let me. He only comes near once everyone is out of sight and he eats food I leave for him. What can I do??

Phone the RSPCA, they usually help with injured stray animals.

If he's not happy to be touched then he really needs to be trapped in order to have medical treatment. With him being visibly injured the RSPCA should consider trapping him within their remit, but if they won't help then it will come down to whether the people at Cats Protection can lend you a trap and find him a space in their rescue space, or if Magsie knows of a space available and will lend you one of the traps that she uses.

The vet bill for sorting him out could run into thousands of pounds so unless you are rolling in money you will need the backing of one of the rescue charities to help fund that. If he's so injured that there's no way to help him then trapping him and putting him out of his misery is still the kindest thing to do though, so please do see if someone will help you.

Do stress to the RSPCA that he is visibly injured though, because if he's just a stray or feral then he falls outside their remit as they no longer take in animals just because they're homeless.

Thanks you 2. I'm going to see if he comes back today and try get a closer look somehow. Do you have the RSPCA number to hand? The only thing is I can't guarantee he will be here when they come, will they leave a trap for us to try and get him? I think it will end with him been PTS sadly, the poor thing is a bit of a mess :(

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/helpandadvice/reportinganimalsindistress

here's the link with phone number.

sadly i suspect you're right about it ending with him being put to sleep. sounds like an unneutered tom with infected bites which means there's a good chance he'll have FIV. i trapped one similar a few months ago. rspca were very kind to him in his last days though.

Edited by midgecat
add comment

Yes, the whole point of a trap is that you bait it and leave it because injured or scared cats are extremely good at both not being where you want them to be when you want them to be there and of helping other people to feel as upset as they are when you try to handle them ;)

You will need the national emergency RSPCA number rather than the local shelter, so the number you need is 0300 1234 999. Please persist with getting hold of them as it's unlikely that anybody else will try to get help for a feral cat who is in pain; good on you for taking the decision to help him if you can.

Phoned the RSPCA and they are going to phone me back to possibly arrange a humane trap to be brought here. Hope we can help the poor thing

which area are you in, our cat keeps bringing a really nervous ginger cat home with him. I wonder if its the same one, we never get the chance to look at it is so fast

S2 it's such a poor soul, don't think he's feral, owners probably just chucked him out

Do you reckon they will actually get back to me?

You can borrow a trap from me if you can pick it up from south Sheffield. I can show you how to use it. The RSPCA are very good in cases of injured cats, I would ring them again and say you are able to take to the vets (Peak vets on Woodseats would be the best to use as they do lots of work for the RSPCA). The delay might be because inspectors are overwhelmed with cruelty cases. South Yorkshire is one of the cruelty hotspots and don't the inspectors know it?

Poor thing sounds in a bad way, good for you for helping him.

They tried me yesterday but I was at work, going to phone back so they can bring me a trap