Lower back and tummy pain..?

anyone any suggestions of ways to make it feel better if it does come back.. (bath etc..)? X

hot bath, hot water bottle back and front, ibuprofen & paracetamol/cocodamol if you can take them.

Try a gentle back massage if you have a willing masseur, to relax you (can make loads of difference) and distract you... (you can be lying down, sat up or even curled up in a very small ball!!!)

Other than that i believe in rolling around on the bed screaming works... ;)

without wishing to worry you unduly, it could be a kidney issue (going on your first posting) - see your gP - don't put it off and if it is try to stay off the Ibuprofen (will aggravate your kidneys so make the pain worse potentially).

hopefully it'll be something as simple as trapped wind

for pain relief in the meantime- I use the shower (as hot as you can bear it) for my kidney problems - works a treat.

A kidney is possible, though pain would tend to be more to the back side with those. Appendicitis is usually a bit faster moving than a month as far as I'm aware. (Could be wrong).

My instinct would be that it could be either an intestinal, ovarian or muscular / back problem. Haven't really got enough information to say whether or not it's likely to be serious. Would tend to play it safe myself, if it does turn out to be nasty it's always better to get these things seen to ASAP. Oh, and most painkillers are evil in my opinion but ibuprofen particularly.

Originally posted by Crayfish

Oh, and most painkillers are evil in my opinion but ibuprofen particularly.

they might be, but severe pain is worse!

you may notice the words 'if you can take them' in my earlier post, referring to the fact that I'm sure SIH will be aware if she can take certain painkillers without adverse reactions.

Ibuprofen may be 'evil' in your book, but they are anti-inflammatories and DO work very well in the right situations....

I'd much rather take them (and voltarol and cocodamol and dihydracodeine if needs be!) than live in pain that leaves me screaming the house down!!!

I went to the doctors a few weeks ago with similar symptoms, had a few tests done. Which were clear, but the doctor thinks that it may be ovarian cysts. So i have to have a scan in 2 weeks. I have pain most days and sometimes even ibuprofen doesn't seem to work.

I don't know if you find this too but even lying down doesn't seem to help. Somteimes standing up or sitting upright seems to help a little.

Get to the Doc asap!

I had very similar syptoms to yours just before xmas, although my pain was so bad I ended up going to hospital. Turned out to be a kidney stone blocking the pipe from my kidney to my bladder. Had to stay overnight in hospital, and Im going next week to have it broken up with ultrasound. But I did the same as you, had a bit of a pain, ignored it and it went away, then it came back with a vengence and put me in hospital. Get it looked at anyway, even if you feel alright now.

Guest Pauly

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the NHS Walk-in centre at the Hallamshire??? I apologise if someone did but I just had a quick scan through and couldn't find it mentioned.

You can see a nurse right away down there and they'll give you an idea of what's up. It's better than nothing isn't it?

Hope all is well

P :)

hi, i would just like to say i would seek expert advice before taking any painkillers eg , ibuprofen as in my opinon if you have stomach trouble these can irritate it and make things a lot worse .

Originally posted by Pauly

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the NHS Walk-in centre at the Hallamshire??? I apologise if someone did but I just had a quick scan through and couldn't find it mentioned.

You can see a nurse right away down there and they'll give you an idea of what's up. It's better than nothing isn't it?

Hope all is well

P :)

yes pauly i think you will see the walk in centre has been suggested .

I used to have a card for the Wybourn Well being centre, which was open to anyone, no appointment necessary. Is it still going?

Also when I have used NHS direct they have been spot on. The first time I had shingles on a sunday and they got me seen at a nearby hospital, the second time my son had appendicitis and they got him seen at the hallamshire and he was admitted direct from the walk in centre.

Hmmm is there chance this could be a bug? I've had the same symptoms for a week except mine are in the middle of my tummy and i've felt sick a lot of the time, oh and extremely tired! I'm hoping i come on because i get more and more pregnant like symptoms every day!

Could it be a bug?