£36k+ per year in rent for a market stall, RIP Sheffield market

YesI have read it along with many more articles on the Market sites.

Things have been planned all over the City for many years inc The Don Valley.

Oh hang a minute !that was planned on the back of a fag packet in the Tea Gardens Pub .I was there when a prominent councillor [later an M.P.]shouted out that he had just found another million to put to the project.

We will next have the Hallamshire historical society demanding funds from all and sundry [inc their mates at the Council] so as they can get down Castle Gate and Exchange Street with trowels and start scratching about looking for a non existent Castle.

Millions more to find inc the demolition costs of the old Market a building that would have stood for many years to come if only it had been maintained and looked after.

Hang on a minute, what's all this to do with the Labour council closing the old market? You claimed that it was all their fault when the decision was made by another party yet you have find something else to blame them for. Not sure what the Hallamshire Historical Society has done to upset you either.

Hang on a minute, what's all this to do with the Labour council closing the old market? You claimed that it was all their fault when the decision was made by another party yet you have find something else to blame them for. Not sure what the Hallamshire Historical Society has done to upset you either.

Because they along wih many other members of Sheffield's chattering classes [inc the bleedin Liberals ]are responsible for the demise of Sheffield's historical trading area .

The can often be seen photographed in the local rag bowing and scraping to who ever holds power at the Town Hall so as to further their ridiculous claim that below Exchange Street there is a Castle that when excavated will bring thousands of tourists to Sheffield.

Because they along wih many other members of Sheffield's chattering classes [inc the bleedin Liberals ]are responsible for the demise of Sheffield's historical trading area .

The can often be seen photographed in the local rag bowing and scraping to who ever holds power at the Town Hall so as to further their ridiculous claim that below Exchange Street there is a Castle that when excavated will bring thousands of tourists to Sheffield.

Or it could be that shopping trends have changed and people shop online , at meadowhall or go to supermarkets instead. Of the markets had reammined popular and profitable then they wouldnt have been shut down.

Or it could be that shopping trends have changed and people shop online , at meadowhall or go to supermarkets instead. Of the markets had reammined popular and profitable then they wouldnt have been shut down.

Or reight tigger I give up ,Im Licked, Tha's pummelled me into ground ,Moor Market is a resounding success, no stalls are shutting, the rents a bloody bargain , the footfall is in the hundreds of thousands a month,there is just one problem. Whats happened to Alan the Market referee.

Think he got a job with the council as an adviser!!

cuttsie - what makes you think Hallamshire Historic Buildings support Castle Market demolition? If the council knock Castle Market down (whether that was right or wrong), why not make the most of the opportunity to find out what is under the ground? It's friends of Sheffield Castle who you might be thinking of - they, and lots of other people interested in Sheff's history are understandably excited about excavations. A for Hallamshire they spend most of their time campaigning AGAINST the council! - e.g Jessops, the Lyceum

Think he got a job with the council as an adviser!!

Are you still going to open a chippy in there? When? I might have to give Brenda's a try. There's no proper battered cod in the market & it's not the same raw.

cuttsie, I heard a couple of the traders didn't like Alan & got him banned, don't know if there's any truth in the rumour. I suspect foul play!

Edited by anywebsite

There are opther things that affect a retail business including the state of the local or national economy and the decisions made by the business owners themselves. In the old market businesses failed, in the new market some business will fail, on the high street some business will fail.

You also have to consider whether a market in general will prosper given all the competition around now.

Having had a stall in a local market for a few months last year I joined the National Market Traders Federation and one thing that is apparent from their quarterly magazine is the number of traders of many years standing who are quoted in articles saying that the markets they stand on are not as busy as they used to be.

I believe that the old market failed not because it was run down but because peoples shopping habits have changed and less people were visiting it.

The Castle Market was a dump in the 1970's when my parents took me but it was very busy. It was still a dump in the 2000's but was much less busy.

The new market is fine for those who live/work in town and can pick up a few bits each day but for those of us who live and work in the suburbs there are a lot more convenient alternatives around where you can park free of charge and get all your weekly shop in one go.

Edited by BoroB

Are you still going to open a chippy in there? When? I might have to give Brenda's a try. There's no proper battered cod in the market & it's not the same raw.

cuttsie, I heard a couple of the traders didn't like Alan & got him banned, don't know if there's any truth in the rumour. I suspect foul play!

Alan would some times be a bit of a pain in the arse but! he was part of the character and characters that make up a City centre Market ,you meet these local people of interest in Markets World wide and they are part of what makes them [markets] interesting to all.

---------- Post added 07-04-2014 at 08:13 ----------

cuttsie - what makes you think Hallamshire Historic Buildings support Castle Market demolition? If the council knock Castle Market down (whether that was right or wrong), why not make the most of the opportunity to find out what is under the ground? It's friends of Sheffield Castle who you might be thinking of - they, and lots of other people interested in Sheff's history are understandably excited about excavations. A for Hallamshire they spend most of their time campaigning AGAINST the council! - e.g Jessops, the Lyceum

I can only go on what I have seen in he local press with people who get their picture in the papers shaking hands with the council leaders as they hand over the latest painting or other relic that may or may not be of Sheffield Castle.

This is often followed up in the Sheffield Star by a full article on the same subject.

These people are favoured by the Council and press over others who think that the most historical fact around the Wicker Exchange Street, King Street areas are that they are the very first areas to be used in Sheffield for trading and that is so much more important than preserving a pile of rubble that may be there and in fact came 300 years later anyway.

History is for every one not just the stone sniffers.

Edited by cuttsie

The market is excellent. I went in with £10 bought some meat + veg and left the market with some change.

The chicken breast for £2.50 was massive and almost half the price of the value/cheap chicken breasts at major supermarkets.

Looking at the amount of people in there though, it did look quite empty. There were many empty stalls. Perhaps would make sense to drop the rental costs and get some income from these empty stalls? a bit of rental income has to be better than nothing at all?