£36k+ per year in rent for a market stall, RIP Sheffield market

Do we really want a new purpose built market to sell dodgy fish/ chicken or fake clothing and stuff? Why not aim higher then shops for local chavs

Hopefully the new market will be a bit more up-market, so to speak; most of the shops in Castle market are just simply crap!

Easy way is to price those lowlife out, which is exactly what the good people at planning is doing, reason why they earn a lot more then most of us on this forum

I do agree that the plans to open up the ruins and all the rest of it are nice to have but I'm uncomfortable about the council riding roughshod over the lives and livelihoods of the current occupants, I'm also a little sceptical about how the idea might look great on the drawing board but not quite measure up to our expectations in these penny-pinching times.

As for the cost of giving the existing market a facelift that surely depends on how far you want to take it, the too expensive to update argument is a typical stock argument used by people with a vested interest, used so often as to give me cause to question it's credence.

Ultimately Sheffield needs a decent modern market. I cant see why anybody would suggest Castle Market is adequate or could be made so. Hopefully the existing stall holders get treated properly but if they think they wont be able to make a success of a nice new stall in a modern market place then theres somebody else that will.

A decent food market would make a trip to the city centre attractive for me- i just like browsing around good food markets and I think most people do- they've just forgotten what it's like because there arent many. Trips to food markets are always popular with holidaying Brits on the continent.

madness £3k is alot of money

Buildings have natural lifespans...

Says the man who wants to open up the remains of a mediaeval building

......... Trips to food markets are always popular with holidaying Brits on the continent.

...... which are usually out-of-doors with minimal (or subsidised) rents because these towns recognise that if you pull folk in for one thing they will spend money at other shops/cafes while they are there.

(and the weather is usually better!)

Its in a prime spot, Try and get a qoute for convent garden indoor market stall, A lot of business its all about location, location & location

Try and get a shop in meadowhall, you will be talking about 100k a years for a normal shop

The new location at Moorfoot is just about the most stupid place any one in their right mind would build a Market Hall.

Traders pay around £1250.00 at the moment so its quite an increase. The new market hall will turn out to be one of the biggest white elephants/wastes of money in Sheffield history.

The Moor is hardly an attractive place to shop, the roads into Sheffield are virtually impassable and the parking is overpriced and limited.

It will be stood empty in 18mnths while the idiots who commissioned it hide away picking up their inflated salaries in some ivory tower.

Here, Here, I will second that what a daft place for a city Market.

try and run a business in the real world and pay full market rent and see , instead of having your pitch subsidise by the taxpayer

If the council had done their job and looked after the Castle Market, kept the area clean and provided parking and toilets then there would be no need to close it [still is not necessary even in its present state].

The Moor project is just another Don Valley World Student Games fiasco that will put us in the hands of money lenders for the next fifty years.

I really don't know how you think you can justify these statements.

Peak time traffic congestion in Sheffield is not as bad as other major cities and you can get around just fine.

There are massive amounts of parking available in Sheffield, there have been lots of new multi-storey car parks built recently and the rates they charge compare favourably with other major cities.

Then why has the land behind Castle Market not been used has a customer carpark.

You can't keep the current building open forever - it's in a terrible state. Its not about aesthetics, its about Health & Safety, it's about disabled access, it's about building regulations...

So what is the problem with disabled access. What are the Health and safety issues and was the Market built without building regs being enforced.

So what is the problem with disabled access. What are the Health and safety issues and was the Market built without building regs being enforced.

Building regs have changed an awful lot since the market was built...it's been there for ages..