July 2012- flooding in Sheffield/North Derbyshire MEGATHREAD

Well I am sure that without the riverways clearance work from the council that has gone on over the last five years we would have been in much more dire straights than just the mild alarm of today! Between oughtiibridge and kelham island there was a big difference in the flowing *away* of the flood water... Not sure how well Rotherham and Donny have coped tho!

I am sure of that as well. They cleared so many bushes and other major items in the river it runs allmost twice as fast as it did in 2007. At least half times faster means 50% more capacity per hour. That is a big difference from before.

I'm back in work, and I've turned on the webcam again, I've also posted the last image it captured before I had to turn it off and go home.

http://www.artumi.com/river/

For those who missed the earlier post, this is a webcam of the river sheaf.

It will only be on for a few hours today.

I'm really relieved to see that the flood warnings for the River Don (apart from at Carbrook and Meadowhall) are no longer in force at all, not even as a milder alert. The Environment Agency work done over the last few years must have really cleared the path of the river.

Flood warnings remain in place for the River Don at Carbrook and Meadowhall, Blackburn Brook from Chapeltown to Ecclesfield, Blackburn Brook from Ecclesfield to Wincobank and Ecclesfield Brook at Ecclesfield, but compared to the risks from yesterday that's really a great improvement.

Meadowhall warning now lifted

Edited by SYorksDeano

The Environment Agency and Streetforce have done an amazing job on the river in Oughtibridge today.

There were quite a lot of fallen trees starting to block the bridge but they've scooped them out of the river, chopped them up and taken them away already.

Fantastic work! :thumbsup:

Only 2 flood warnings now remain in Sheffield, both at Ecclesfield.

The Environment Agency and Streetforce have done an amazing job on the river in Oughtibridge today.

There were quite a lot of fallen trees starting to block the bridge but they've scooped them out of the river, chopped them up and taken them away already.

Good stuff ... that's my boy's favourite park :cool:

Good stuff ... that's my boy's favourite park :cool:

Please note that Coronation Park (Oughtibridge) is CLOSED until further notice. We've inspected it this morning and while it doesnt look too bad now the park was under three feet of water last night (but nowhere near as bad as 2007).

We will be inspecting again on Monday and will be testing soil etc to see what contamination there has been (if any) before declaring it safe for people to use again. The toilet block will be out of action for some time as badly damaged.

Hopefully, people will understand why the gates are locked. Can I please stress that this is for a reason. We did have two people climb over this morning to walk their dog!!! Please dont do this.

Posted on behalf of Bradfield Parish Council.

Edited by The Chavs

I'm impressed how early they were there to sort it out. They really did learn from 2007.

It's raining here in S13, I feel for anyone that lives near the rivers it must be so worrying.

I'm sure I just heard a rumble of thunder too. :(

It's raining here in S13, I feel for anyone that lives near the rivers it must be so worrying.

I'm sure I just heard a rumble of thunder too. :(

yep i was just gonna post the same its quite heavy too :( no wonder people emigrate to warmer climates july is more like spring than summer :(