Speed awareness courses

Perhaps 36 in a 30 is not considered a minor offence,

or you have already been on a course in the last 3 years?

I was offered the course for doing 36 in a 30. Most other people on my course were doing around the same. The company running it do several courses, and this one was for the lowest category of offence (they ran other courses for more serious offences, but none for lesser offences).

I thought the fine was less than £100,so my bad - but seriously at 70 odd how many more years will it matter for if he has 3 points.

Possibly another 27 years. We have a 99 year old driving around here.

I thought the fine was less than £100,so my bad - but seriously at 70 odd how many more years will it matter for if he has 3 points.

How will having a speeding conviction affect my insurance quote?

The findings are based on the cheapest available insurance quotes:

For a forty year old there could be an increase from £498.86 to £582.37

A fifty year old could expect costs to rise from £397.29 to £589.42

Multiply that increase over five years (points are valid for 3 but stay on your licence and need to be declared for 5)

Perhaps 36 in a 30 is not considered a minor offence,

or you have already been on a course in the last 3 years?

It's well within the guidelines for the awareness course, it's only just into the guidelines for doing anything at all, that being 35 or above.

---------- Post added 11-04-2018 at 10:20 ----------

I know someone with a similar issue, however they did get offered the course when they rang up about it.

Now the unusual thing is the offender is 73 and as tight as a proverbial ducks A%*& with money. Why he'd rather pay £100 to keep a clean license is beyond me.

Your insurance will go up due to the points.

Do you have to declare to the insurance if you go on a course?

Check your policy, Yes for the Admiral group of companies, no for most others.

Surely your insurance should be cheaper if you went on a course, technically your a safer driver.

Surely your insurance should be cheaper if you went on a course, technically your a safer driver.

Catch 22 position I would say

You would be deemed a higher risk because you have been caught in the first place hence on the course

Hi

I just wanted to post on the off chance that it is seen by someone for whom it will be useful:

I received a letter around a week ago about a speeding offence, 36mph in a 30 zone (crosspool). I expected to get a letter offering a speed awareness course (I haven’t ever had a ticket before). The letter I received only gave the option of paying the fine and taking the points. The contact number on the letter didn’t work.

It was very difficult to find any other number for the department and after much scouring of the internet, when I was about to give up and pay the fine, I tried a number from a questionable forum but finally got through. The lady explained that their is an issue with their computer systems, meaning people aren’t being offered the course where they would usually be eligible.

Thought I’d share in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

The number I finally got through on is *01709 832456‬ (South Yorkshire)

Ps. I know I’m in the wrong for speeding- before anyone feels the need to remind me :)

Don't forget even after you have being on a speed awareness course it now has to be reported to your car insurer, otherwise it can invalidate your insurance when making a claim.

Don't forget even after you have being on a speed awareness course it now has to be reported to your car insurer, otherwise it can invalidate your insurance when making a claim.

Only if your insurer asks the question requiring that information and not all do.

Got one of these things soon. Disgusting the whole thing. A stupid little camera van parked at the BOTTOM of a huge hill on a 30. I mean come on. 30 on a hill where if you roll you can get to 30 within a second or two.

Garbage.

I saw one in Wakefield the other day, enforcing a 30 limit a few 100 yards after it dropped from 40mph.

Non-residential or built-up, just a good place to catch people who didn't slow down quick enough.