Higgs boson discovered

The Higgs Boson.

Since we are now pretty sure it actually exists, can we all agree to stop calling it the "God particle?"

(from sickipedia)

The Higgs Boson.

Since we are now pretty sure it actually exists, can we all agree to stop calling it the "God particle?"

(from sickipedia)

Ok I'm up to speed with the fella 'Higgs'...but who's boson?

Its amazing that just as the funding was running out and some of them were faced with closure that they have now found a Boson like particle, so what now.

Quote; "More work will be needed to be certain that what they see is a Higgs."

So basically they cant confirm they found it so the experiments are now guaranteed to carry on as scientists are being cautious about whether its the Higgs or not.

No wonder Brian Cox had a beaming smile!

They knew that it would be around now (within the first few months of 2012) that they would either find it or know it didn't exist.

They were working on an elimination basis, checking all the frequencies (not sure that's the technically correct terminology) where it could possibly be. At the end of last year they had pretty much narrowed it down to a small area (the hardest to search) and knew they would have a result either way within a few months.

I'm not sure Brian Cox is directly involved so more funding wouldn't necessarily be to his personal advantage. I'm not sure of his personal opinion but a few scientists on the project have said that it would be more exciting not to find it!

Edited by PaliRichard

Yeah, whoever discovered it now probably just wants to name it after themselves.
Yes. Whoever discovered the Higgs Boson should have naming rights over the Higgs Boson. Afterall its not like the Higgs Boson has a name already. I wonder what the Higgs Boson would be called?

They were working on an elimination basis, checking all the frequencies (not sure that's the technically correct terminology) where it could possibly be. !
Its more like the differing amount of energies at which the particles are collided at.

;9007878']Its more like the differing amount of energies at which the particles are collided at.

Thankyou, I knew I had the image right but the words escaped me :hihi:

;9007834']Yes. Whoever discovered the Higgs Boson should have naming rights over the Higgs Boson. Afterall its not like the Higgs Boson has a name already. I wonder what the Higgs Boson would be called?

Precisely. Thats why they're claiming what they have found isn't exactly the Higgs boson particle :P So they can steal it and call it after some Swedish scientist or other, who is an expert at banging.

Then again the Higgs boson is only a theory, and not an actual particle, so maybe they would have the right to call it whatever they please now, since it was them who actually found it.

The Higgs Boson.

(from sickipedia)

No we can't all this name changing causes more confusion.

Experts? Experts they say? In something that they just discovered? Quick! I guess they know more than me, so that qualifies them I suppose!

It wasn't that long ago the men with scruffy beards told us the collision may cause a black hole,and we would all be eaten up....I think???

It wasn't that long ago the men with scruffy beards told us the collision may cause a black hole,and we would all be eaten up....I think???

No that was a bunch of mad lunatics who make us look like theoretical physicists.

Maybe thats what they're trying to do now :o