How bad are Sheffield bus drivers?

Taxi drivers run red lights far often than bus drivers. Cyclists however are the worst culprits; they must all be colour blind!

(

Too right, the cyclists are the worst of all!

Anyway... I do find Stagecoach bus drivers to be very friendly. I am yet to meet a friendly First driver though. What's wrong with them?! Bunch of miserable b****rds. I once had one give me a load of grief because I'd pressed the pedestrian crossing and made him stop. Stuck his head out of the window and hurled abuse saying I could've waited! Jog on

To be honest it just happened to be stagecoach buses this time I don’t find first or any other company that operate in Sheffield any better.

I know I am generalising but I do find the driving here by bus drives worse than other cities. It's just my opinion/experience I have no axe to grind or agenda I just wish they'd drive a bit more considerately as I do all road users to be fair.

Bus drivers force themselves out in to traffic a lot I find, but that’s probably because no one lets them up out, even if the bus is likely to pull back in at another stop 100 m down the road (think Penistone road). Also, when passengers says that buses run red lights it’s normally because they are sat in the rear of the bus, and the light changed to red once the front of the bus passed.

However, saying that saw a bus pull out on Bramhall lane roundabout yesterday that causes a BMW to have to slam the anchors on. Also that same morning I was prevented from pulling out of my road after a bus pulled up over the end of the road. It was stopping at a queue of traffic, it could see me indicating to turn right, yet, travelling at about 5 mph it proceeded to block me in. Hence back to my first point.

All this poor driving, by bus drivers tram drivers, car drivers, lorry drivers, etc etc comes down to two key factors

i) lack of consideration towards other road users

ii) lack of forward observation and planning

There's little we can do about i) to start with,

but ii) can be solved by adopting the advanced driving test as the standard driving test without diluting the standard required to pass.

Combine this with the RoSPA bronze/silver/gold pass levels, restricting the type of vehicle you can drive to what level pass you have attained,

eg. bronze - upto a 1.4, silver upto 2lire naturally aspirated, gold- anything

all of a sudden,

* the standard of road use goes up

* the number of road users goes down

* the roads are nicer places to be, everyone can get where they want to go without having to be overly selfish ( i) cured)

* unlicensed drivers are easy to spot as they're clearly worse than licensed drivers

* poor driving exhibited by public service drivers, buses, trams, taxis etc is alleviated because their vehicles require a gold pass to drive.

* reduced greenhouse emissions from fewer vehicles on the road

* increased demand for public transport, which can be quicker because it doesn't have to compete with so much other traffic.

* fewer road traffic accidents because drivers are more hazard aware and planning their journeys better, reduced demand for NHS services saves money

* fewer cars and accidents with an increased driving standard mean we can safely increase speed limits so people can get from a to b more quickly.

i don't particularly enjoy travelling on buses but what irritates me is not their driving skills as such mainly:

1) they see u running for the bus and decide to pull off anyway.

2) they decide to pull up at a bus stop and sit there for 5-10 mins (this always happens when im in a rush to get somewhere!).

don't get me wrong not all drivers do this but i have encountered it numerous times.

i don't particularly enjoy travelling on buses but what irritates me is not their driving skills as such mainly:

1) they see u running for the bus and decide to pull off anyway.

2) they decide to pull up at a bus stop and sit there for 5-10 mins (this always happens when im in a rush to get somewhere!).

don't get me wrong not all drivers do this but i have encountered it numerous times.

1- tough luck, you should have been quicker, there will be another in 10 mins. We hang on for one straddler then another bunch decide to show up and hold the bus up further.

2- we don't just decide to pull up and toss it off for 5-10 mins. They are time points and if there is time to wait then so be it. Running early = the sack.

If you are in that much of a rush, get an earlier bus. Simples.

I have lived here a while now and I've worked all over the country but I have never seen such poor bus drivers anywhere.

They constantly run red lights and they block junctions all over the city centre. I ran my wife to the station this morning and I saw 3 near misses because of bus drivers running rred lights.

I called stage coach to report the incident and they showed no intrest whatsover.

Does anyone else find this?

like any other bus driver and lorry driver. they all ignore all other traffic and plough straight throughbecaaouse they are bigger they expect other drivers move out of the way they won't move over for anyone, its the same all over the country even on country roads they come at you and not slow down and pull on to verges so you have to do it scratching your car on thorny hedges

From experience First drivers are very good, Stagecoach drivers especially ther younger ones have suicidal tendencies and thanks to the latter I am now disabled following an accident on one of their buses.

The smaller 31 and S6A buses are great, shame there's not more of them.

As for taxi drivers don't get me started on them.... the worst ones are those who can't speek Engleesh and previously drove in stock car races in Mumbai :hihi:

1- tough luck, you should have been quicker, there will be another in 10 mins. We hang on for one straddler then another bunch decide to show up and hold the bus up further.

2- we don't just decide to pull up and toss it off for 5-10 mins. They are time points and if there is time to wait then so be it. Running early = the sack.

ok, the 2nd point i did not actually know about that... and maybe that was the earlier bus? i dont decide to catch a bus at the last minute, and the 1st 1 not all drivers do that there are drivers that have the courtesy to wait a couple of seconds for a "straddler" as u put it.

ok, the 2nd point i did not actually know about that... and maybe that was the earlier bus? i dont decide to catch a bus at the last minute, and the 1st 1 not all drivers do that there are drivers that have the courtesy to wait a couple of seconds for a "straddler" as u put it.

Maybe those drivers that do wait are not running late at the time.

My bold :roll::roll:.

What an ignorant attitude..

Good customer relations,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT..............

I have lived here a while now and I've worked all over the country but I have never seen such poor bus drivers anywhere.

They constantly run red lights and they block junctions all over the city centre. I ran my wife to the station this morning and I saw 3 near misses because of bus drivers running rred lights.

I called stage coach to report the incident and they showed no intrest whatsover.

Does anyone else find this?

Were you feeling bored?:confused: