Mayan end of world 2012 MEGATHREAD

Didn't Jesus say (I think it was during the Sermon on the Mount if anyone wants to check,) that no man will know the coming of the end, so there was no point in speculating.

Something like that.

Didn't Jesus say (I think it was during the Sermon on the Mount if anyone wants to check,) that no man will know the coming of the end, so there was no point in speculating.

Something like that.

Probably. As a Jew, he was presumably following Judaism's view (explained in my previous post).

I would love to agree that 2012 end of the world is accepted nonsense, but then... I might be a fool!

In the MAYAN belief system : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_apocalypse............ the end of the world has a significance or did it?

What ends in 2012 is simply the 13'th baktun (century) of the Long Count calendar of the Mayan civilisation. Unfortunately the MAYA are no longer with us, and adherants to their predictions are few, but there are others, and these others cannot be brushed away so easily.

The Maya are still very much with us.

http://www.criscenzo.com/jaguarsun/mayanow.html

jb

Something like that.

Why does the revelation of Daniel spend so much effort trying to say when it will happen, then?

Why does the revelation of Daniel spend so much effort trying to say when it will happen, then?

Good at Aramaic, are you?

There are plenty of biblical descriptions informing us WHAT will happen at the coming of The Messiah but not when. The Bible instructs us not to be sign seekers. In other words concentrate on building up your faith. Sign seekers even when they come across a sign, soon forget and fall away; since that is all they expect to believe in, with no faith as a foundation to build upon.

Something like that.

If you read Jesus' teachings in context (a very good book on this subject can be found here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Authentic-Gospel-Jesus-Geza-Vermes/dp/014100360X) then you would realize that Jesus thought the end would arrive in his own lifetime.

The reason he told people that no one would know the time of the end was so that they practiced their religion in such a way that when it did arrive they would be ready.

Only in the writings of the early church (very post Jesus) is it said that the end will come in the future, and that was largely to cover up (by accident or by design is down to interpretation) the fact that it hadn't come when it was supposed to.

There are plenty of biblical descriptions informing us WHAT will happen at the coming of The Messiah but not when. The Bible instructs us not to be sign seekers. In other words concentrate on building up your faith. Sign seekers even when they come across a sign, soon forget and fall away; since that is all they expect to believe in, with no faith as a foundation to build upon.
Thanks for that :)

il bet you it wont be a giant rock that ends the world, more likely some nutcase with a nuke :help:

It will end when your time is up.

"Death is standing in the doorway of life." Bob Dylan.