Cross Scythes Derbyshire Lane Going Thornbridge

I expect to see a facebook status update from you there soon, en route to £1 curry night at Dronfield Arms!

Number 43 bus route is actually an outstanding pub crawl. You've already got Sheffield Tap, Rutland Arms, Sheaf View and Coach & Horses en route to Dronfield Arms and beyond that there's 3 Tuns and carrying on into Chesterfield there's The Beer Parlour and Derby Tup.

I must admit that I haven't thought of Derbyshire Lane stuff as well but I suppose that counts as well.

The Cross Scythes is their latest edition, is it?

Eye mite sea weather there bored as hen knee miss steaks.

That sounds like a fantastic pub crawl. Possibly a cycle route too?

The take-over of the Cross Scythes should be taken as a universal bonus, in my opinion.

If you take the Greystones as an example, there you had a pub that was off-limits before Thornbridge took over, in an area that has its rough edges. What results is a thriving community hub, changing the face of an area, offering a welcoming atmosphere, some culture, and great beer. Everyone's happier.

That part of S8 around the Cross Scythes drastically needs something like this. Frankly it's inexplicable that there isn't more investment going on in the area: you've got beautiful countryside, an amazing park, and some great pub buildings. But it's dominated by badly run pubs that seem to actively drive the area down, and missed opportunities, such as the Thornbridge run cafe in Graves Park which doesn't open through the week.

More graduates and young families are moving into S8 - this can only be a good thing, revitalising a slightly depressed community. They will demand more places like this, and expect better pubs, better shops, etc. S8 on the up!

The take-over of the Cross Scythes should be taken as a universal bonus, in my opinion.

If you take the Greystones as an example, there you had a pub that was off-limits before Thornbridge took over, in an area that has its rough edges. What results is a thriving community hub, changing the face of an area, offering a welcoming atmosphere, some culture, and great beer. Everyone's happier.

That part of S8 around the Cross Scythes drastically needs something like this. Frankly it's inexplicable that there isn't more investment going on in the area: you've got beautiful countryside, an amazing park, and some great pub buildings. But it's dominated by badly run pubs that seem to actively drive the area down, and missed opportunities, such as the Thornbridge run cafe in Graves Park which doesn't open through the week.

More graduates and young families are moving into S8 - this can only be a good thing, revitalising a slightly depressed community. They will demand more places like this, and expect better pubs, better shops, etc. S8 on the up!

Good post.

Stoatwobbler - ok, the Pond Hopper has to be imported etc so high costs but how come they can price their Stout at about £9 with a clear conscience? It`s brewed at Thornbridge Hall. Ditto Bracia (sp?).

Good post.

Stoatwobbler - ok, the Pond Hopper has to be imported etc so high costs but how come they can price their Stout at about £9 with a clear conscience? It`s brewed at Thornbridge Hall. Ditto Bracia (sp?).

Well I have to say that I find it difficult to justify those 2 beer's prices. The Imperial Russian Stout especially. I think it's a combination of rarity, barrell ageing and in the case of Bracia expensive Italian Honey.

Plus there's the fact that some people will still pay those prices for limited edition beers from certain breweries. The thing is, this stuff still get's brought despite a stupid price tag. I think some people go onto websites like ratebeer.com, see people talking about these beers on places like Twitter and decide that they want some on that basis.

My solution to stupid brices from breweries like Thornbridge, Brewdog and Marble? Don't buy the stuff if I'm not happy with the price. I have to admit that I've hardly had any Brewdog beer this year for that very reason.

Fab post! Being on the doorstep I wholeheartedly welcome Thornbridge taking over the Cross, in fact it can only be a plus.

Lets face it, it is a dump way past it's best and desperately needs a facelift.

I only hope that we don't have a repetition of the previous owners let of the function room at the back with the music blaring out due to extended hours....so inconsiderate and without regard to locals trying to get to sleep!

So glad.....looking forward to 4th August!

Edited by Twitcher

I think it is correct not to pick upon Thornbridge, but to look at the benefits for the area. When I moved here in January, I asked for (and got ) recommendations of decent pubs in the Norton Lees area. At the time that boiled down to the Mount Pleasant (quirky and not particularly female inviting) and the Chantrey. The Prince of Wales was still closed.

Since then, the POW has re-opened and Craig, the manager, has done a fantastic job in trying to make it a family friendly, community focused local plus, even better than that, has expanded the beer range from a couple of ordinary pumps at first to more like 5 pumps at all times with better quality beers. Recently there have been a couple of Abbeydales and an Ossett which puts real choice your way. I spoke to Daniel, the owner recently (also of the Chantrey and the White Lion) and he was enthusiastic about the rebadging of the Cross Scythes since it made the area more interesting.

When I lived in Alma Street, I had not heard of Derbyshire Lane and none of the pubs I have mentioned, except the White Lion, got a mention in the beer press, but for the travelling beer drinker, as against the committed local regular, having the Lion and the Sheaf view in close proximity has to increase the footfall of visitors, which is good for both establishments.

Now, beer drinkers in town might just think of making a pilgrimage to Norton Lees since with one bus journey they can do the Cross Scythes, The POW then walk down the hill to the Chantrey before heading back into town. The more adventurous might keep walking down to take in the Ale House on Fraser Road before heading along Abbeydale to the Broadfield. That starts to look like a ticker's dream.

Does anyone know if the opening of the Cross Scythes by Thornbridge is going ahead on this Thursday the 2nd August?

Does anyone know if the opening of the Cross Scythes by Thornbridge is going ahead on this Thursday the 2nd August?

Yes, it's still opening on Thursday as far as I know. Exciting times for Derbyshire Lane.

Yes, it's still opening on Thursday as far as I know. Exciting times for Derbyshire Lane.

Yeah, 12.30. I won`t get there until 12.45 though, or maybe a bit earlier! Kids playground being redeveloped too!

Anyone wondered where the Sheffield Telegraph would be without Thornbridge / BrewKitchen ? They'd have nothing to write about!

Lets hope they make a better job of it than before which wont be hard.

Maybee this time the licencing laws might be followed to the letter which wasnt the case before .

I know some local residents who have gone through hell living near there before anybody jumps down my throat.