Extractor Fan Wiring problem

Hi

I've having wiring dilemma at the moment.

I've removed 3 wire Faulty Extractor Fan in my kitchen and replaced it with two wire 6" extractor fan.

I've intstalled the fan but it's is blowing air in instead of extracting it.:huh:

The fan can only be installed one way so I havn't installed it the wrong way:hihi:

The old fan had three wires

Netural - Black

Switch Live - Grey

Live - Brown

Old FAN - pic photo (3)

The new fan only has 2 wires, Blue which I believe is Neutral and Brown which I believe is Live. Correct me If I'm wrong!

New Fan - photo (2)

I've removed the blue and brown wire from the new fan and then wired Black (Netural ) where blue was and Brown (Live) where brown cable was.

I'm wiring it wrong somewhere, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

I've having wiring dilemma at the moment.

I've removed 3 wire Faulty Extractor Fan in my kitchen and replaced it with two wire 6" extractor fan.

I've intstalled the fan but it's is blowing air in instead of extracting it.:huh:

The fan can only be installed one way so I havn't installed it the wrong way:hihi:

The old fan had three wires

Netural - Black

Switch Live - Grey

Live - Brown

Old FAN - pic photo (3)

The new fan only has 2 wires, Blue which I believe is Neutral and Brown which I believe is Live. Correct me If I'm wrong!

New Fan - photo (2)

I've removed the blue and brown wire from the new fan and then wired Black (Netural ) where blue was and Brown (Live) where brown cable was.

I'm wiring it wrong somewhere, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Im no electrician but you got the fan in wrong way round . Did you swap motor round or take it apart at all .

I've checked it and the fan can only be fitted one way. I didn't take the motor apart. the wiring is going worng somewhere. I will have another look at the wiring diagram tomorrow, but it's awfull.

I kinda took lead from old fan connection. Hope i can get it going the right way around :-)

even if you swapped live and neutral over, it wouldnt alter the direction of the fan.

how are you planning to terminate the permanent live?

what colours were connected to L, SL and N on the old fan?

Is the fan wired to a fused switch or wired to light switch?

What I mean is what are the wires connected to the other end?

With fans, the direction of the current matters, so technically in a simple circuit if you reverse the wires, it will go the other way.

Your problem is you have misinterpreted the cable colours.

Whereas black and red are neutral and live, blue and brown are now neutral and live. The 'old' fan has new colours. Brown and black are probably your live wires and grey is the neutral. This is generally how this cable is used:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/content/knowledge/how_to/electric_regs/electric_regs.pdf

Safety first

The core colour changes could cause confusion.

For example, black is used for neutral in old two-core-and-earth

cable but is one of the live cores in the new three-core-and-earth

cable. Also, blue is used for neutral in the new two-core-and-earth

cable but is one of the live cores in old three-core-and-earth cable.

If you need to connect a new cable to an old one, great care must

be taken to connect the correct colours and a warning notice

must be fixed at the distribution board or consumer unit.

Thanks a lot for that link, I'm reading it through now, It looks like I've got the colours wrong.

Will let you know how I get on.

thanks again

swapping live and neutral wont reverse the direction of an AC fan, there isnt any current direction on AC

probably isnt good enough, you need to know what went to what terminal on the old fan to start with.

Thanks a lot for that link, I'm reading it through now, It looks like I've got the colours wrong.

Will let you know how I get on.

thanks again

How are you going to let us know how you are going on when you electrecute your self. Probably burn the house down as well. Electricin time mate. You want to go out every day wondering if house has burned down whilst you were out. Which hospital do you want the flowers sending to. An electrition i know will sort it out if you live S13 way HI AN UPDATE .Had a word with my friend electrican he says are you sure the new fan you bought is not one that blows in as they are made to so you got wrong type. Or is it one that requires a transfomer. He doesnt think its a wiring problem but hard to say without looking at it. CHECK its right type fan first

Edited by spider1